RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOVIES
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: MOVIES Reply with quote

MOVIES NOWADAYS SUCK!!!

What the fucking hell is wrong with hollywood!!!!!

Mad

discuss.

only thing I'm looking forward to is this.

there's just a lot of really bad movies out there nowadays...
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Momma's House 2?

LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice use of screencap.

Movies don't suck, you're just watching the wrong movies. Don't trust the garbage that America puts on the top of the box office every weekend.

This week I watched:

Grizzly Man - This was a good if hard to watch documentary about a guy who used to spend entire summers camping alone in the Alaskan wilderness and interacting with wild grizzlies until one day when one of the decided to eat him and his girlfriend. It has some of the most amazing footage I've ever seen. It would have been better if the director had taken a stance on whether he thought the guy was a fucking nutjob or just a man in love with animals (we get to see both sides), so it seems a little lost at times, but worthy of a viewing, especially if you like bears, which face it, who doesn't? 3/4 stars

House of Flying Daggers - I've been a big wuxia fan since Crouching Tiger, and love Yimou Zhang, but somehow never got around to seeing this one til a few days ago. It was fricking amazing and my favourite wuxia film since CTHD. Jin/Wind was fricking awesome. He used a bow and freaking arrows for Christ's sake! Movies need more bows and arrows. I actually got the shivers during some of the fight sequences and that hasn't happened since the first time I saw the rooftop ninja fight in CTHD. It got a little predictably unpredictable at the end but managed to tell its hackneyed love story to the best of its ability without making me cry, which is always a bonus. 4/4 rox city blox

Capote - Philip Seymour Hoffman needs to win the best actor Oscar this year. He was simply amazing in every way. There wasn't a second during the movie where I didn't think he was really Truman Capote. It's kind of weird watching a movie based on a book that's about a man writing a book. Overall I found it hard to relate to what Truman was going through, so I didn't find this as worthwhile, other than just to experience PSH's awesome performance. It was still a strong film and worthy of praise, even if I didn't find it all that interesting 2/4.
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a thing on that grizzly guy. Don't know if it was the same thing (I assume you're talking released in theatres). I think he had good intentions, but wasn't smart enough to know when it was time to get the FUCK out.
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw the Aviator a week or two ago. A year or two old by now but it was quite good.

I haven't watched a movie in the theater since Serenity though.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't see Harry Potter (I almost typed "otter" there, that would have been cool) or Narnia? They were both really good. Nerd film is about as mainstream as I get at the cinema. A theatre near my house plays older cult films every Friday, so I go there pretty often, otherwise I just wait and rent.
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't see either of them. I would want to see both of them if given the chance but I'm not a big Harry Potter fan. I haven't read any of the books and have only seen the 3rd movie. It was good but maybe cause I didn't read the books or watch them in order, I didn't see what the big deal was all about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen narnia yet out of fear that it will ruin the books for me. I'm a Potter Hater. Serenity was the last new movie I watched and I liked it. Other than that I just watch the movies I like over and over until someone forces me to watch something. Most of the time if I'm watching a movie because someone forces me to watch it that's the only way I'm exposed to new material.

Yes Tim...I'm a hater.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narnia, differences from the books aside, is a fairly solid family film.

Some day, I'll understand what people like about Harry Potter. Some day.
MrKow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you won't, Sethimothy. You will not understand why Potter is so "good"....
RagePirate
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read the Harry Potter books, then don't comment on anything Harry Potter related. At all. If you have read at least the first four or five books and still don't like them, well to each his own. Personally, I think they're a great example of character development and story telling in a book.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
Personally, I think they're a great example of character development and story telling in a book.

Hahahaha~!

That's awesome. You're an awesome comic, Rage. Character development. That's... that's priceless.

Storytelling and environment I can understand, but character development?

I spit out water while reading that. Kudos.

Last edited by Sethimothy on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
RagePirate
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the books?
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
Have you read the books?

Yes. Have you?
RagePirate
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All six and being an aspiring writer I can appreciate an author's ability to create several young main characters who slowly grow with the books. I know I could never do what she does by portraying the petty nuances and frustrations of being roughly 13. Sure, it's essentially a children's book but she creates a great and consistent alternate reality with likable characters. The only author I can think of who matches this is George RR Martin with his Song of Ice and Fire series, which is much more mature. I'm just saying, I know a well written book when I see it and the Harry Potter series is just that. Still, to each his own.
MrKow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKow wrote:
I'm a Potter Hater.

No other rules apply.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premise just isn't that appealing to me. There are a huge number of great fantasy series in book form... this one just became very popular. I haven't read any of the books so I don't get it.

Anyway, back to movies.

I watched Pulp Fiction again last night since it was on one of the movie channels.

Has anyone here seen Dark City? I really want to see that as I've only heard great things about it. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
George RR Martin with his Song of Ice and Fire series.

WOOT
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:
RagePirate wrote:
George RR Martin with his Song of Ice and Fire series.

WOOT

My heart is torn.

On the one hand, the Song of Ice and Fire series is a very awesome series, and has some very excellent character progression.

On the other, RagePirate also enjoys Harry Potter, which suffers from some very broad characterizations, and is a series which slowly trades in a pound of deus ex machina for a pound of unrelenting angst, both of which only hinders the reading experience.

I thought he was either being ignorant or attempting to be amusing yet he honostly believes the Harry Potter's series character progression is actually worthy of note.

My world - it's shattered.

Last edited by Sethimothy on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
RagePirate
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:

I watched Pulp Fiction again last night since it was on one of the movie channels.

Pulp Fiction's an all time great. Reservoir Dogs is up there, too. Same director, a lot of the same characters. Same sweetness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 1 of 39
Jump to: