RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: TV Reply with quote

Anyone watch any TV? I've been watching more and more since the advent of BitTorrent. It's slowly creeped it's way up as my new obsession since anime got old to me. There's a lot of great shows that I'd always wanted to watch but wasn't able to until BT and DVD. I'm currently on season 3 of the X-files, season 5 of Star Trak DS9, and watch Lost and Arrested Development (a true shame we're losing this one so soon) every time a new torrent drops.

Shows I wish everyone would watch:

Firefly - Yes, I'm a Browncoat. Shame the connotation has become almost derrogatory as most of us are fanatical beyond reason, though it's hard not to be passionate over what I personally feel is the greatest sci-fi work to date.

Dead Like Me - This was one of my favourite shows ever and it's a shame it only ran two seasons. It's about a girl who dies and becomes a "reaper" or someone who ushers souls at the time of people's predetermined death. It's got a lot of really biting, dark humour that really turns my cranks and some amazing character (Mandy Patinkin - of Inigo Montoya fame - plays Rube, the best character here, and the reapers' boss). A really cool concept and stellar writing set this apart from so many shows. I can't figure out why it wasn't more popular, then again I didn't catch it until it was nearing the end of its run and watched it all on DVD, so shame on me as well.

Wonderfalls - Not as conceptually strong as DLM (though by the same creator) this still has a lot of the same caustic humour as that show, with a similar leading character who has the ability to communicate with inanimate objects in the form of animals. Each episode she kind of solves a problem or situation with the help of cryptic message from her animal friends. It took me a few episodes to get into this one, but by the time I was through all 13 of the episodes (most of which never even aired thanks to Fox's inability to market the most amazing material) I was dying for more.

Lost - I hate this show with a burning passion but for the life of me will never miss an episode. I don't really "hate" it. It just has a tendency to leave me in a state of suspense and shock often enough that I ache for the next week's episode. It's the way the show is designed, and it leaves you feeling like the creators are just toying with your emotions and you're powerless to do anything. If you don't currently watch this show, do yourself a favour and don't try to jump in with the next new episode. Go buy the DVD's for season 1, or download them, or steal them or however you have to watch it in its entirety from the onset. In my opinion this show deserves all its hype as long as you're willing to grow with the characters as you learn about them and just sit back and enjoy the ride. Very few, if any, shows rival this one for sheer mystery and puzzlement.

Mythbusters - This is one of my favourite shows, but unlike most of the stuff I watch, I don't go out of my way to see every one, but just download a few at a time when I'm bored, due to the nature of the show. I doubt there's anyone alive who hasn't seen an episode of Mythbusters yet, but if you haven't seek it out, it's fascinating and humourous.

Not sure if it's a coincidence that the first three of those are shows that ended prematurely. Not sure if it's just me, but aside from Lost, I've never really enjoyed much "mainstream" TV, though I guess you could argue Trek and X-files were mainstream in a sense. I guess my TV tastes are fairly nerd aesthetic, so I get compelled to niche material often and it leaves me heartbroken when said shows get canned.

So, what do you guys watch if anything? I know we've got a lot of anime nerds here, but I'm not really looking for that kind of stuff. Besides we have a full forum devoted to that.

Go!
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your take on Lost. I'm hopelessly addicted to the show even though I know there's never going to be that one single episode that actually concludes any aspect of the story. Just more new things coming out to make the show more and more complex, but it's still awesome and I love it.

I'd recommend the show The Shield on FX. It's a cop show that kicks every other cop show's ass. Yes, that includes NYPD Blue in its prime. And it doesn't appear to be too tough to get into if you have seen the first few seasons. I only watched some here and there until this season where I'd say I look forward to this show as much as I do Lost, if not more.

Other than those two shows, there's really not much I watch that I could emphatically condone. Most of the highly acclaimed shows like 24 and Lost really require you to get the past seasons' DVDs and catch up, which can be a real turn off for a lot of casual viewers. Hence me just sticking with two shows and going from there.
MrKow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BROWNCOATS!!! WOOT!

I don't watch anything on it's airing time. I own the first 7 seasons of SG1 and watch them regularly. I'm picking up my own dvd set of firefly so I dont have to borrow my brother's for too long. That's it...all I do is work....sometimes I get lucky enough to play a computer game inbetween geeking out....
Pandar
Overlord of the Netherworld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hardly ever watch TV anymore, but when I do, it's for Star Trek: The Next Generation. Jean-Luc Picard can breach my warp core any time. <.<

I also occasionally watch Mythbusters whenever I see it on, but other than that, I'm just playing games or something. I'll occasionally flip to G4 until something stupid happens (9 seconds of non-Star Trek is the time to beat!) and then laugh at it, then go off to play video games or bash my head against the wall for hours. Y'know, something funner than watching G4. Except for when Star Trek is on. I can stomach G4 for that.
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the Men's Olympic Hockey games will own my sould for the next couple weeks.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
I know there's never going to be that one single episode that actually concludes any aspect of the story.

Bingo! That is precisely why I 'hate' the show, it's like a drug man!

I've heard a few friends tell me about The Shield. Honestly I don't get into "cop shows" (other than COPS, which is something I watch every opportunity I get), but have heard very good things, so I might check it out some time. It's just a subject matter thing, really. My friend tried to get me into Monk, which was admittedly kind of entertaing and that Shoub Maloub guy from Wings is really fun to watch, but I just don't get into the whole crime-a-day detective thing, so I won't get into it. He loves all the CSI's and stuff though, so it's more to his taste, and he understands. I just have the feeling The Shield is going to be the same, so I haven't even tried yet. Also, I've been recommended Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and Babylon 5 very highly from quite a few people, so The Shield would be under all of those.

Oh, and not sure how I forgot about it, but I seriously live for The Sopranos. I love mobster flicks, and Sopranos has consistently been one of the most retardedly awesome shows ever on television. I can't wait for the new season to start up next month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that I'll be getting back into B5. A friend recently moved back into town and he's got everything on DVD, including the movies...and the Tick...which I've gotta watch again just to relive the good times.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Park bitches
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Park is one of those shows that I love every time I see it, I just don't watch enough actually TV to see it often. I wouldn't have even seen the majority of the first few Family Guy seasons were it not for Adult Swim which I watched with friends nearly every week.
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
RagePirate wrote:
I know there's never going to be that one single episode that actually concludes any aspect of the story.

Bingo! That is precisely why I 'hate' the show, it's like a drug man!

I've heard a few friends tell me about The Shield. Honestly I don't get into "cop shows" (other than COPS, which is something I watch every opportunity I get), but have heard very good things, so I might check it out some time. It's just a subject matter thing, really. My friend tried to get me into Monk, which was admittedly kind of entertaing and that Shoub Maloub guy from Wings is really fun to watch, but I just don't get into the whole crime-a-day detective thing, so I won't get into it. He loves all the CSI's and stuff though, so it's more to his taste, and he understands. I just have the feeling The Shield is going to be the same, so I haven't even tried yet. Also, I've been recommended Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and Babylon 5 very highly from quite a few people, so The Shield would be under all of those.

Yeah the Shield really isn't a typical cop show in that it's more about corrupt cops than anything else, but it still has the cop show feel. So if that's not your thing, don't bother. I never got into any of the Star Trek, Babylon 5 stuff myself. I don't know, I can only do sci-fi in small doses and those TV shows are a big dose. But yeah, I dug last night's Lost just because it involved torture, but again: token Lost. Nothing was really resolved and next week will probably be even slower since it's supposed to be about Claire figuring out what happened to her. Damn you, Abrams.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid you are the worst nightmare of tv shows... The reason a lot of these great shows nowadays don't stay on the air is because everyone downloads them instead of giving them tv ratings.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even watch TV that much anymore....I'm ether working or just chillin out..or playing playstation with my friends..

not really hooked on anything...
savory snax
True Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just copy and past from myspace and add notes.

Angel,
Invasion,
Firefly,
Twilight Zone (mostly the old ones),
Band of Brothers (pretty awesome WWII mini-series by Spielberg),
Twin Peaks (classic),
Battlestar Galactica (though lately I've gotten a little bored with the angst on this one),
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Locutus owns me),
Babylon 5 (stick with it past season 1 and you won't regret it, this is maybe the best sci-fi show to date),
My Name is Earl (cheap laughs,)
Two and a Half Men. (see above)
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:
Liquid you are the worst nightmare of tv shows... The reason a lot of these great shows nowadays don't stay on the air is because everyone downloads them instead of giving them tv ratings.

I'm aware of the conundrum, but it doesn't change the fact that if I didn't download the few TV shows that I do, I simply wouldn't watch them at all. I own the DVD sets for Firefly, DLM and Wonderfalls. I borrow X-files from a friend, and Lost hardly needs my help to earn ratings. The only show up there that I have currently downloaded is DS9, which is now years after its concluded (not to mention I did watch it on TV religiously back in high school). I'm not the scourge of TV you'd make me out to be, though I do take your point.

Anyways, simply being unaware of a show in the two week span between the pilot airing and Fox pulling its plug hardly makes me an evil man. Like I said, I don't have time to catch shows on TV, and commercials piss me off. It's just not a medium I prefer my entertainment on.

Oh and how do you think Nielsen's gets their ratings by the way? They don't scan my reciever personally and I don't fill out viewing surveys, so how would my actually tuning in to Lost every Wesnesday instead of waiting an hour for the torrent help? I'm sure the word of mouth I give shows I love helps a lot more than the nothing they would be getting otherwise.
The Original Geek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::Geek Confession::

Star trek. All of 'em. Well, except for "Enterprise" didn't really like that one. I'm working on actually owning all of 'em on DVD, since my computer isn't the pirate machine I want it to be.

I second Dead Like Me. It should have made it past season two. Alas, people like to kill good shows.

Fools speak because they have to say something.

~Plato
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i really watch are:

Smallville
My Name is Earl
The Office

The Office being, by far, the funniest show i've seen in a long time. It's not for everyone, but it hits me perfectly.

It's been increasingly harder for me to find a show that i think is funny anymore. This includes almost all of the popular comedy cartoons. I still like Simpsons sometimes, and South Park is still great, but other than that i don't even crack a smile. Maybe i'm becoming numb in my old age. Wink

Either way, i can't guarantee anyone would like the Office, but it's at least worth checking out. There's just so many great things about it.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Office is good but only compared to the rest of the crap on TV here (Earl is actually really funny and I laugh at Scrubs when I catch it, but they are rare exceptions). The British Office is amazing. Ricky Gervais is a comedic god. He has a show on HBO too now called Extras. If you haven't seen the UK's Office or Extras, be ashamed of yourself and watch both after sticking your penis in an electrical outlet for no less than eleven minutes.

Also, have you seen Arrested Development? If you find Earl and Office funny I find it hard to believe you wouldn't love AD.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch Lost and want to follow all the clues, this website is absolutely essential. I discovered it a few episodes ago and they amaze me with the amount of stuff they dig out of each episode.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's funny is I haven't watched an episode of Lost at all. Yet I hear how extremely popular it is...why so??

Seriously though, I don't watch much TV at all anymore..
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Christ, that episode of The Sopranos was like a whole fucking new season in 50 minutes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25
Jump to: