RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo's next console
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Nintendo's next console Reply with quote

Blah blah NeoGaf rumor mill suspected info leak probably 50% true blah blah:
Quote:
The System:

Uses a custom IBM triple-core CPU running at 3.6GHz per core
The development kit contains 1gb RAM, but Nintendo have hinted that the console will actually have 1.5gb
Nintendo will be releasing games that will run 1080p natively. Sources say that with Nintendoís art style and the power the system has, the games look Ďstunningí.
The system does run on AMD R700 card, but the architecture is slightly different and the clock speeds are much higher.
The System resembles JPN/EU SNES machines in color only and not in shape
The development kit is about the size of a 360, not the console
Close sources say itís as if Nintendo is in ďdamage controlĒ with 3rd party developers. Nintendo is trying really hard to get 3rd parties on board to develop games and have offered incentives such as not releasing big-title Nintendo games in holiday seasons to compete against 3rd party titles.
Nintendo went to many 3rd party developers on guidance on what they were after with the new console in terms of system specs, controller and online system.

The Controller:

Nintendo have been keeping this really quiet and have only given developers controller prototypes to start designing games. However, the final controller build with all the features have only been given to Nintendo 1st and 2nd party developers for now.
Nintendo had planned on inserting a screen on the controller back when the Gamecube was in development, but opted out due to technology not being advanced enough to be functional
The controller thatís been given to developers has a large 5.7inch hd (960x640pixel) screen, 2 analogue sticks, 4 face buttons, 3 middle buttons (select/home/start in that order), 2 shoulder buttons and 2 triggers.
The triggers arenít as deep as the 360ís triggers, but have plenty of push
The big thing about the screen is that itís a multi-touch screen, contains itís own battery and is detachable from the controller unit
The screen when detached contains its own memory so developers can store data on it, so gamers can play whatever the developer designs for the screen-only use
When the screen is attached to the controller it works by streaming content directly from the console
Nintendo are giving developers ideas other than just having it function as a quick menu screen for games while attached, or as a simple tamagochi-like mini-game when detached
The controller contains a gyroscope, but motion controls isnít the focus of the controller like it was for the Wii

Games:

Nintendo will release a Mario platformer as a launch title which hasnít been done since the N64.
The Mario platformer looks to be the spiritual successor to Mario 64.
Gamefreak and EAD are hard at work developing a Pokemon online RPG.
The Pokemon RPG is not an MMO, but does have a large online emphasis and will be Nintendoís flagship title when showing off the online capabilities of the console.
There will be at least one new IP Nintendo will reveal at E3.
Nintendo is working on a new Zelda, but didnít reveal anything to developers.

Other:

Some developers have had the Wii 2 dev kit for going on 2 years now. When the Wii 2 is released in late, thatís 3 years to develop games on.
Because of such generous development time, Nintendo have pushed 3rd parties to develop high quality games to be released at or near launch.
Nintendo have sourced an external company to develop their online network, which the developer has commented, surpasses both the PS3 and 360 in terms of speed and functionality.
Nintendo is pushing for the console to be online 24/7 and have seamless online integration with many of their games
Friend codes are confirmed to be gone
Nintendo has been toying with the idea of a game where the main character is your Mii
Nintendo will be pushing their Pokemon RPG to showcase their online network
Rockstar are supposedly hard at work in bringing on of their ďmost popularĒ titles to the console.

PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I should have predicted that other people would have the same don'tgiveashitness that I do. I want to care. But I can't.
Pandar
Overlord of the Netherworld

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the Wii U
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii U, Wii U, Wii U!

The chosen one!
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:

Wii U, Wii U, Wii U!

The chosen one!

WRONG!

Here, let me help U:

WiiU WiiU WiiU
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to you, good sir.
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO guess they were using 360's and PS3's for some of their presentations as well. What the fuck are they thinking? Making the Wii equal to current gen is pretty weak sauce for a "new" console. I was hoping they would come out with something truly next gen. This is fucking hilarious. Looks like another generation of Nintendo that I'm not participating in.
"True to the bullet pith on the enclose, Rocksmith allows you to beat the drum for legitimate hither any electric guitar into the proprietary USB chain that comes with the encounter..." - NEERGENCE, 12/02/2011
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solice Kirsk wrote:
SO guess they were using 360's and PS3's for some of their presentations as well

All of them

Quote:
*The tablet is a single touch SD display that needs AC power to charge.
*The discs are proprietary, there is no movie playback at all - again. (Same link as above)
*You can only use one screened controller with a machine.
*Wii controllers require Motion Plus either attached or built in for compatability.
*The third party games shown were PS3/360 footage, NOT Wii U.
*Super Smash Bros shouldn't have been announced as it is in early alpha and does not actually exist at all in code.
*It's going to be over $250.

So many people are unaware that you can only use one tablet per console. So everyone bringing up stuff like Crystal Chronicles and Zelda 4 Swords as potential inspiration for new games is wrong. Not that I think the tablet controllers will be cheap enough that anybody would ever have four of them, but still. This thing is going to tank bad. Nintendo stock just fell a bunch since this announcement.
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That controler would be awesome if the system could handle 4 or more of them. Hell, that could have had the potential to be the keyboard/mouse slayer that you wanted Liquid. I can't think of a reason to buy this thing unless you REALLY like Nintendo games. Just looks like a more expensive casual gaming console.

I'm waitin for Microsoft or Sony to offer their own internet/cable package through their systems next. The first one to do that and be competitive in price will absolutely own the entire entertainment market.
"True to the bullet pith on the enclose, Rocksmith allows you to beat the drum for legitimate hither any electric guitar into the proprietary USB chain that comes with the encounter..." - NEERGENCE, 12/02/2011
NR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the official presentation.
Technologically, it's impressive, yeah, but I can't see myself wanting to play games on it. Just not for me.
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to cause an argument, but where has it been said that you can only use 1 touch-screen controller per console? I know videos have shown only 1 controller being used, but I haven't read any articles that said you can only use 1. Please post a link if there's an article that shows it.

To me, Nintendo will always be the casual console. But it's what has worked for them all these years. I honestly don't think I could view Nintendo for "hardcore" games now even if they came out with a console that consisted of a controller that only worked if it was smothered in kitten blood.

I do like Nintendo and I collect consoles, so I'll be getting the Wii U. I think it looks like something I can enjoy with my family when I'm not playing something else. Maybe that's Nintendo's attempt is to make a family gaming console rather than something focused primarily on single players.

Solice, I think you're right. I think whoever can provide the cheapest, reliable on-line gaming market can run away from the other consoles.
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Nintendo stock just fell a bunch since this announcement.

I actually read up on this through some of the systems we have at work. I guess shareholder confidence dropped because of how many questions the system debut left.

A lot of the stuff asked by interviewers was answered with a definitive "maybe" or the classic "we're not sure at this time" that Nintendo has become so adept at using for actual answers.

The whole "using ps3/360 images to promote their new console," absolutely did not help.
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
Not trying to cause an argument, but where has it been said that you can only use 1 touch-screen controller per console? I know videos have shown only 1 controller being used, but I haven't read any articles that said you can only use 1. Please post a link if there's an article that shows it.

There were a bunch of them yesterday. Basically Nintendo was saying that the system came with one controller and you could not buy anymore. They were also saying that for multi player games one player would use the tablet and the others would use regular Wii nunchucks or classic controllers. Here's one:

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-u-tablet-controllers-may-not-be-sold-separately

I'll find more. I know I read it on IGN and on znet(?) maybe.

Also Nintendo wasn't considered a casual gamer console until the Wii. The NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and GameCube were all considered (at those times) "next gen" consoles. When they released the Wii and lost nearly all 3rd party support was when they started churning out casual gimmicky crap 100% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love getting drunk and playing Wii bowling as much as the next guy, but I'm not gonna do that by myself in my living room when i feel like nerding it out.
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:

To me, Nintendo will always be the casual console.

Wrong. All consoles are casual.
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Idin, I don't get you. You buy and brag about owning/playing PC, then you play console emulators, then badmouth consoles and talk about how PC games are better. You're all over the map here. I don't know if you're actually that big of a hypocrite or if you're just RPGLand's greatest troll.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
I guess shareholder confidence dropped because of how many questions the system debut left.

Can you find me some hard evidence of this? I'd like to share it. It's an amazing fact, if true.
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
Omegarage wrote:
I guess shareholder confidence dropped because of how many questions the system debut left.

Can you find me some hard evidence of this? I'd like to share it. It's an amazing fact, if true.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a link or anything since it came internally from our firm's market analysts. I called over to the area that provided the information and the guy that I talked to said that shareholder confidence dropped "due to a combination of things, but the most reported to us was that Nintendo avoided some questions regarding pricing, controller replacement or how many per system, and exclusive third party support rather than just ports. Combined with the fact that Nintendo tries to promote itself to casual game players who can get a similar casual experience from current generation smartphones and tablets."
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-09-only-one-wii-u-controller-per-console
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: