RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editorial: Why Eidos is getting more crap than it deserves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
?diuQiL
.hctiB .erianidroartxe tob daerhT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Editorial: Why Eidos is getting more crap than it deserves Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/content/?p=2646
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna write something about this, but just don't have the time with all this Japacking going on (leaving Saturday morning). Nice.

Maybe I will still whip something together, but more along the lines of "RPG Land doesn't do this kind of bullshit, though the opportunity has presented itself" kind of statementy thing.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
I was gonna write something about this, but just don't have the time with all this Japacking going on (leaving Saturday morning). Nice.

Maybe I will still whip something together, but more along the lines of "RPG Land doesn't do this kind of bs, though the opportunity has presented itself" kind of statementy thing.

It's kind of funny that those situations presented themselves at all for us. The one thing that is both cool and kind of sucks about this type of writing is that once you're hooked up with a publisher(s), you're both widely projected...and a cog in a machine. You're helping to drive a medium forward in the way of direct and indirect advertising, and as a result, your writing is scrutinized and in some cases like this Gamespot one, sanitized.

See, this is exactly why a group of us could talk about reviews for hours and hours like in that Awesomecast. When scandals like this crop up, and when a lot of places' writing comes into question, proving that your writing is genuinely your own, and proving that you feel that way and are yet unbiased, in a document that most people will at best skim...it's difficult. In the short time I've been reviewing games, both high profile blockbusters and expected flops, I'm surprised at how seriously I take it. "Fair and thorough" was easily the best compliment I received from a publisher on a review, and it still warms my cockles.

I kind of wish that there were other ways for websites like GameSpot to gain revenue other than ad money. No matter how creative of a solution one could find, nothing else is really feasible other than the billion-dollar advertisement industry, which I think sucks. It's an industry that is infuriatingly bacteria-like. It just grows and grows and grows out of literally nothing. I realize there are returns, but it doesn't feel like something that should be a sole form of revenue.
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're helping to drive a medium forward in the way of direct and indirect advertising

How would we not be doing that even if we didn't have publisher support?
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr wrote:
Quote:
You're helping to drive a medium forward in the way of direct and indirect advertising

How would we not be doing that even if we didn't have publisher support?

Well, since the rest of the sentence reads:
Quote:
, and as a result, your writing is scrutinized and in some cases like this Gamespot one, sanitized.

It looks from here like she meant that with publisher support comes pressure and/or expectations from publishers to score and speak a certain way--in this case, "sanitation."

Without publisher/advertising dollar support, there's really no reason for sanitation or damage control within a review.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, implied subjects/pronouns:

Quote:
You're helping (them [the publishers]) to drive a medium forward in the way of direct and indirect advertising, and as a result, your writing is scrutinized and in some cases like this Gamespot one, sanitized.

We'd still be sort of doing that without publisher support, but we couldn't or wouldn't review half the games we do, and even if we did, most of them wouldn't be timely because of the need to purchase them with available cash. Review copies are a win-win relationship between site and publisher, and that's why they exist: they help us to cover the game, netting the publisher exposure and the website content (and the reviewer a game they might not have been able to afford or play normally, especially not that early).

So even though we would technically be doing the same thing, the degree, and thus the impact, is severely impacted without publisher support. And if the impact is lessened, it's not so much "driving" something as riding in the back and getting out to push on occasion.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eidos is getting crap? I was under the impression that Gamespot/CNET were the ones taking all the flack. Pulling an ad from a website that talks shit about your product shouldn't be worth losing your panties over.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter: Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill-needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? [tosses a goblet to the floor which breaks] A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... have at you!

Last edited by SuzukiVsMiyamotoFIGHT! on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was gonna respond to that dude but I don't remember what he said before he Symphonyofthenighted his post.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess how much FFXI Gil I got for giving such a high score to FFIIIDS?

. . .

None. Man. :/ What was I thinking. >.>

Also:

Quote:
I was under the impression that Gamespot/CNET were the ones taking all the flack. Pulling an ad from a website that talks sh** about your product shouldn't be worth losing your panties over.

This is my opinion and belief as well.
Duke Otterland
His Royal Dukeness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fiasco sort of brings to mind this article published some time ago:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/04/09/monday-mouse-watch-tis-a-pity-that-he-s-a-quote-whore.aspx
Judge of Stellasolum now available at my Lulu storefront
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya'll don't visit the same message boards I visit then
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: