RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Must-Own GBA titles, Started by a little FFTA discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: The Must-Own GBA titles, Started by a little FFTA discussion Reply with quote

NR wrote:
Super Megaman X wrote:

In fact, supposedly, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and now XII are linked, if very slightly, because they all take place in the same Ivalice.

Minus the first tactics at least. That one did not take place in the same Ivalice as FFTA did. I can't speak for Vagrant Story, but FFT is excluded from that group.

It may or may not be the same Ivalice. Perhaps it's a different time period, but there's no denying it took place in Ivalice. The races that appear in FFXII are exclusive to FFTA and FFXII, though. That is true. It'll be interesting to see what kind of ties are made.

As for VS, i may be mistaken, but i don't remember it taking place in Ivalice. It's been a while.

FFTA is one of my all-time favorite games. Sure, FFT had an infinately better story, as well as better classes, but FFTA was the ideal(to me) handheld Strat RPG. It's perfect for long periods of game play, or short bursts. I actually have 120 hours on one file. I got all the best equipment and successfully completed all 300 missions, which opens up the Cid/Judge story. That's been rumoured to be referenced or in reference to an aspect of FFXII. Very cool stuff.

As for FFXII, all i can say is that i can't wait. I'm sick of the delays but my interest in the game hasn't faded. I'll be getting DQ8 so i'll definately be trying the FFXII demo.
------
Moderator's note: I split this topic from the FFXII discussion thread, because whoa, look how much of it is abotu GBA. Anyway, here is where to discuss the "Must-Own GBA title(s)."
savory snax
True Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloudcent wrote:

FFTA is one of my all-time favorite games. Sure, FFT had an infinately better story, as well as better classes, but FFTA was the ideal(to me) handheld Strat RPG. It's perfect for long periods of game play, or short bursts. I actually have 120 hours on one file. I got all the best equipment and successfully completed all 300 missions, which opens up the Cid/Judge story. That's been rumoured to be referenced or in reference to an aspect of FFXII. Very cool stuff.

Tell me more about this Cid/Judge story. Is it worth playing all 300 missions to get? ::considers breaking out his copy of FFTA::
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a nifty little plot. Basically, once all 300 missions are complete you find a task in the pub. You go to it, and Cid says that the curruption of the Judges has gone to far. Cid joins(playable, but you can't alter his job or anything) and you, one by one, target every judge in the land. I think it's about 10-15 missions. The cool thing is that since Cid is a judge, he has cards that can nullify what the judges might throw at you. Since you are now targeting them, they don't exactly play by the rules.

It's FFTA so don't expect some huge epic plotline, but it's certainly neat. A good sign of things to come in FFXII where the judges once again seem to be abusing their power.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does finishing it get rid of the retarded ass law system? That would make the game worth playing again...
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at RPGs it can seem like they're even, but what besides GTA (I'm talking really general here...I mean I don't LIKE the game, but for people who like GTA...) is there going on? I had hope in a few titles but they bombed the big one.

So overall, DS is taking names because it's got a variety of cool stuff going on. Some people might not like Animal Crossing, but a lot do. The list goes on. Most of the PSP games I've seen that aren't RPGs have been universally "Meh" Especially the platformers. But that's just me.

Generations of Chaos does look pretty awesome though, and if I had a PSP I'd get it.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Does finishing it get rid of the retarded ass law system? That would make the game worth playing again...

no, it doesn't. Personally i find the laws add a new aspect of strategy, and are hardly "retarded ass laws" thrown into the game for no reason. Plus, not all stages have laws, but i'm assuming you didn't play long enough to get to the jagd stages.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I beat it. Three levels without laws doesn't make up for the few dozen with. And the laws were retarded. The people who like them only do so because the game is preschool easy without them. I would have preferred actual terrain or enemy difficulty over asinine and unjustified rules.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I didn't like the law system ether but I'm not done the game.....didnt know about the cid mission thing tho Cloudcent....sounds fun..even if it's just to kick those annoying judges asses I think it might be worth the time..

I might have to dust off my emulated version of it sometime.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, just buy the cart. I'm one of the biggest pirates of all time and I still fully endorse FFTA as a must-own game for everyone with a GBA despite my gripes with it... I've logged over 70 hours in it and still go back to dick around with it from time to time. Only have about 275 missions though...

Anyways, if there's a single game worth paying money for on the GBA it's FFTA... Or either of the Fire Emblem or Advance Wars or Wario Ware games, but very much FFTA as well.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but then I'd have to buy a gameboy advance or micro or DS or what have u..and that's just extra effort...

..and money I don't have ether... Confused

some games I will endorse though...I dont emulate my way through everything that's just wrong.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You work for an RPG site man... Buy a DS. It will be worth it for all the present and upcoming DS RPG's alone, not to mention the back catalogue of great GBA titles you can play. Don't be cheap, and/or get a real job.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
You work for an RPG site man... Buy a DS. It will be worth it for all the present and upcoming DS RPG's alone, not to mention the back catalogue of great GBA titles you can play. Don't be cheap, and/or get a real job.

Smile

I got a REAL good job, and other people on the site own the DS as I own the PSP so we split coverage based on who's got what...

boy with all that DS talk you should go endorse nintendo! Laughing
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you don't buy a DS the fact that you don't have a GBA astounds me. The only justifiable reason for not having a GBA is you don't like portables. And even then, get a GameCube (if you don't have one) and a Game Boy Player and that's solved too. GBA is freakin' loaded!
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a regular GBA that doesn't get used anymore. That SP is awesome.
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP really does own the previous model in every way. However, the Gameboy Micro does not do this, but sells good anyway. I give up.

Regardless, I would like to shift the conversation back to the title of the thread, which is Final Fantasy XII Razz

Okay, screw that. There's nothing to say is there >_<
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GBA has some awesome games as well so don't listen to Liquid, like I need to even say that. Minish Cap is the most recent one I've bought and it's pretty cool.

Tactics Ogre for GBA is better than FFTA as far as that kind of game.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean don't listen to me? I just got done telling him to buy a DS and one of my bullet points was the GBA catalogue...
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's kind of a automatic reaction.

Main disagreement is as far as FFTA goes. I don't really think it's a must own title myself. I own it but I wouldn't place it in my top 20 for GBA even. I enjoyed Tactics Ogre and Advance Wars alot more, I'd grab one of those first if you haven't already. If you were a huge fan of FFT, maybe get it just because but it will greatly disappoint when compared to FFT.
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as you don't expect the story out of it there's a lot that makes it a fun game. I think someone (LiQuid?, someone else?) put it best when they said "Job System from FFT + Ability System from FF9 = Joy" That's my reaction.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:

Tactics Ogre for GBA is better than FFTA as far as that kind of game.

I thought that at first too. I love Tactics Ogre on GBA, but in the end it entertained me for 40 hours, while i put on 120+ on on file of FFTA. Tactics Ogre has it beat concerning plot, though. Plus, turning your allies into powerful swords? There's no topping that.

Advance Wars is a different story. I like Fire Emblem but the setting of Advance Wars turned me off the moment i turned it on. It's still fun, but not nearly as much as other offerings on the GBA. IMO, of course.

To me, FFTA is THE must-own title on GBA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: