RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventure Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
savory snax
True Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Adventure Games Reply with quote

Picked up Beyond Good and Evil for $9.99 at the Gamestop bargain bin. So far it seems like the best adventure game on any platform in a long long time. Heaven knows why I missed it when it came out. After this I'm getting Psychonauts for sure...Tim Shafer for the win.

Console adventure games (and their respective PC ports) are nice but I miss good adventure games on PC. Day of the Tentacle anyone? I guess they had to go console where the money is. I know about The Longest Journey but I played it for about an hour and thought it was slow.

On a bright note there is the new Sam and Max episodes. Has anyone played them?
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna let the S&M games pile up before I start playing them. They do look pretty rad though.

Oh, and better late than never I guess, but shamefuckingshame on you for waiting until it was a budget title to play BG&E...
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and if you haven't yet, play The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. I haven't gotten around to beating either yet, but they're excellent and pretty good respectively.
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle... Good times.

One game I found pretty enjoyable (if you like the sort of game it is) was Keepsake. Some of the human models in cutscenes were WTF, and the voice acting could be hilarious, but it was still a fun game.

Right now I'm playing Evidence: The Last Ritual, but I haven't done so since before finals started. It's one of those alternate reality adventure games, where they send you e-mails and stuff. Tracking down a serial killer by solving puzzles with Google search and other research outside the game. Really not for everyone because a lot of it inherently tedious, but for someone like me...I was addicted to this thing.

I actually had an incident with the game. The serial killer was sending me e-mail threats and one informed me that he'd found out where I lived and was coming. At one point that night I went to the bathroom (which is down the hall and away from my room) and came back to see a message stating he'd knocked but no one was there. Freaky shit.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who did not pick up Beyond Good and Evil and/or Psychonauts...you disgust me...it's people like you that make developers and publishers keep pushing out drivel instead of the extremely high quality IPs that deserve our love and attention.

On that note if you do not own The Longest Journey or Dreamfall pick them up and play them, NOW! (in that order, dreamfall is nearly a direct sequel)
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey what about these "Echo Night" games?
I have Echo Night for PS1 and have been sometimes tempted to snag Echo Night Beyond (in SPACE!) on eBay, but haven't even brought myself to play the first one. Has anyone else? Are they any good?

It's been a while since I've tapped an adventure game.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:

On that note if you do not own The Longest Journey or Dreamfall pick them up and play them, NOW! (in that order, dreamfall is nearly a direct sequel)

I started playing the Longest Journey, and I really like it! I think i'm on chapter 8, or maybe 9. I'm on the island with the winged creatures and the giant man. It's a lot of fun.

I also found a copy of Dreamfall for cheap too, so I went ahead and picked it up. I plan to run through it when I finish TLJ.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you man!

Did you have to look up a faq for that puzzle early in the game where you used the inflatable ducky raft and the tongs to make a makeshift fishing pole in the subway? I totally did. That game has some wacky fucking puzzles. Awesome story though.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Good for you man!

Did you have to look up a faq for that puzzle early in the game where you used the inflatable ducky raft and the tongs to make a makeshift fishing pole in the subway? I totally did. That game has some wacky f---ing puzzles. Awesome story though.

Dude, totally. I wandered around for probably an hour in a half before i was like "fuck it", and went to gamefaqs. I had every intention of playing the game faq-less too. Another one i had to do(and this was my fault), was when the police guy in the bathroom sneezes out his glass eye. I was searching everywhere for something to switch. Never dawned on me that i should have taken it from the little monkey toy. So i had to go back to that alley and take the monkey(which was used for that shadow to scare that dude....awesome, btw) and get it.

From that point on, i always inspected every item when i got it.

But yeah, the story is awesome. Is Dreamfall at least half as good? I'm looking forward to checking it out as well.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can find a copy of Dreamfall, but not of the Longest Journey. Is one heavily based off the other? Should I find the latter first?
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to play TLJ first. I mean the company that made them would love to have you believe otherwise, but the story in TLJ is just too rad to pass up. Even if you have to use a FAQ to blitz through it, you really should.

Last I checked you could still buy it from its official site, but if you have to succumb to it, I highly suggest even pirating it if you have to.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished TLJ this afternoon. Awesome shit. I should be able to get to Dreamfall in the near future.

As a side note, I really liked how TLJ ended. It's so far away from the average video game story(at least the ones I've played). It really was Novel-quality. And the Voice-acting is extremely impressive, especially for a game that came out so long ago.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double. Fucking. Post.

Beat Dreamfall. They need to hurry the fuck up and make a 3rd. Now.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Dreamfall? Reviews were largely unfavourable.
Duckslit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
How was Dreamfall? Reviews were largely unfavourable.

You serious? I heard the opposite.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamfall: Excellent game, with a TERRIBLE, and i do mean TERRIBLE fighting engine/battle.

Seriously, they should have just left it out. I don't think i've seen worse combat in a game. Thankfully it's not a common occurance, only forcing you to do it a handful of times. Other times it's when you are caught while trying to sneak. It doesn't end up being much of a big deal, but I guarantee you'd be like "WTF is going on....I pushed that button like...5 seconds ago."

Story was excellent. I don't think it was as good as TLJ, but it was definitely of rare quality.

Puzzles were fun without making you resort to a FAQ. Except once, when I was supposed to enter some pattern for a song/sound. I had no idea what it was...maybe I should have noticed something earlier. I had to FAQ it up that time, and a handful of others just cause I was lazy.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's not that long. You could probably knock it out quite easily in a weekend without putting 14 hour shifts into it. If i had to guess, the entire game probably took me around 15-20 hours.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going by the official reviews. Still I guess it's changed since I last looked since I don't remember as many positive reviews, but they are really varied... Also, most of the high scores are from less mainstream sources, which might lead me to believe there was some kind of fan bias at play.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came into the series only a few weeks ago, so I don't think I had any sort of fan bias. Like I said, it's not as good as TLJ, but it's still good.

And honestly, I think if anyone would be let down by Dreamfall, it'd be the (extreme)fanboys of TLJ.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamfall to continue through episodic content.

Article here.

Funny that this should pop up only days after I finished the others for the first time.

I don't know how I feel about episodic content. It pretty much means you'll pay 20 bucks for a couple hours of content, and I don't that's enough to satisfy and adventuring itch. We'll see, the article does mention the possibility of packaged together episodes at some point.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow neat! Well that's a ton of incentive to beat Dreamfall right there.

I hope that they clean up the gameplay for the episodes. Also I wonder if there's a large enough fanbase to support something like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: