RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Are You Playing Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 217, 218, 219  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping back to WoW, if any of you guys plan on joining, lemme know. I got 2 50+ priests on 2 pvp servers: Skullcrusher (high pop) and Nathrezim (low pop). Character name is (what else!): Paper
I currently play on Nathrezim and nowadays I only play a few times a week >_<;

It's just plain addictive. When you get higher in lvl, you have more chances to do some fun stuff like the high end raids and instances. Also the BGs are nice too. But it's only fun when you have people to play with or a guild to belong in.

And as you can expect, they provide the seasonal ho hum - this christmas they provided milk and cookies (from Santa) and the ability for you to go riding around on a reindeer. Rolling Eyes

That's the only game I've been playing lately..

http://www.eatpaper.net
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurred by Cloudcent's awful Luc avatar I've decided to go back and try to beat Suikoden III again. When I last stopped I was in chapter 4 with Chris as my fire champ. I just got access to the castle, which leads me to my biggest gripe about this game, the awful pacing. 45 hours into the game and I finally got to what I consider the best part of the series, recruiting and castle enhancing. In the last games I loved recruiting all the off the wall characters and taking out random single-digit leveled characters and watching them go up 20 levels after a single battle. In this game the chittyshittybangbang pacing drew the game out so long that it took forever for all three parties to unify so you could get down to business... I hear IV is a lot shorter, and I'm all for that. What were some of people's big beefs with 4 other than the game length? I personally love short RPG's so am kind of looking forward to getting 3 over with and moving on.

Oh also, Cloudcent or anyone other Suiko fans: What's up with the area magic in S3? Honestly I've played through the game this long and still don't know why anyone would ever use fire runes... Is there any effective way to use them in battle besides just trying to outfit your entire team in fire resist gear? Seems like way more effort then should be needed. Other than that I actually kind of like the combat/equipment/training systems here more than the first two games (I know a lot of people didn't like the buddy system but I don't mind it).
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:

Oh also, Cloudcent or anyone other Suiko fans: What's up with the area magic in S3? Honestly I've played through the game this long and still don't know why anyone would ever use fire runes... Is there any effective way to use them in battle besides just trying to outfit your entire team in fire resist gear? Seems like way more effort then should be needed. Other than that I actually kind of like the combat/equipment/training systems here more than the first two games (I know a lot of people didn't like the buddy system but I don't mind it).

Honestly, i just avoided it. There are ways to effectively use it, but it wasn't worth it. Quite irritating, actually. And I agree with the pacing. I love the game, but that's definately it's weakest point. The buddy system was something I enjoyed, but wouldn't like to be repeated in future installments(which, to this point, hasn't happened). The skill system is much better than previous entries to the series(which makes a return in Suikoden Tactics, and supposedly Suikoden V).

As for Suikoden IV, i loved it. Truely. Most people complain about the plot more than anything. The only thing about the gameplay that really suffers is only 4 playable characters per battle(but you can switch entire teams in and out, which is cool). The skill system isn't as robust as Suikoden III's either. The thing you'll notice first though is the way you travel in the world "map". It's by boat, so it takes a little while to get to the place you need to. I find most people who complain about this to be over-exagerating, but it's a bit tiresome. However, anyone who's played Suikoden before knows of Viki. Enough said.

That said, i still see IV as the weakest link of the series. The characters appear fairly bland, as do the overall graphics, but in a way i liked that. No more extra color for no reason like some games.(Chrono Cross, Baten Kaitos). Small things like that. Like i said though, it's the plot which people complain the most about. I found the actual plot to be quite interesting, even if it wasn't told in the most intriguing ways. If you're after the gameplay, though, it's as solid as previous titles in the series. Building the castle is bery cool, IMO. You'll be building it on a very large ship this time.

And i apologize about the post appearing scatter-brained. I wrote this over a period of 20 or so minutes so it's not the most straight-forward of posts.

As for my Avatar, by awful, i'll assume you mean awfully cool. Cool
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, I can handle the plot being sucky. As long as the battle system moves faster than S3 I'll be happy. Annoying is how I'd describe 4 players in battle. In a game with 108 recruitable members, 4 just isn't enough. I had the same gripe with Chrono Cross. All these cool, wacky characters and I could only use two of them at a time? Gayness.

I'm really pissed that no one's come up with a good way to use fire runes. It seems like such a freaking waste to even have them in the game, and to make the True fire rune the star of the show and having all but it's final (single target) attack worthless. That just blows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm poking away at a bunch of games, both old and new:

Guild Wars
Day of Defeat Source
Call of Duty Single Player
SWKOTOR II (dark side this time...yuck)

Newest Additions:
Sid Meier's Pirates!
NHL 06

GW I like because I don't have to depend on other people for anything if I don't want to. Jumping into an arena can be great fun for a change of pace. DODS...well...I'm addicted to the Source Engine. I was a hardcore CS/CSS player until about 2 weeks ago. Dropped it for GW and single player action. COD is pretty good...not difficult at all.

Pirates! is just a fun game. I don't know why...maybe I'll get flammed for liking it, but it brings me back to my sega genesis days. Same with NHL 06, although keyboard controls are crap.

No WoW for me, friends.

MrKow.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I told you Pirates! rocked so MEH
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKow wrote:
COD is pretty good...not difficult at all.

You're obviously not playing on 'veteran.' Come back and talk to me once you grow a pair. Cool
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showed him this post and he is playing on veteran. Told me to tell you to get back to him once you get some skill

(that last part he didn't say but I implied it Smile )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh snap!!....

I play all games on the "normal/medium/average" setting and then play then again on the most difficult setting. For fps's I've braved through plenty of "veteran level" gameplay...and honestly games like Opposing Forces(hl) and even HL 1 and 2 both had parts that are MUCH more difficult than this. COD fails in one major area...I have yet to run out of ammo in any significant circumstances. I'm still waiting for it, but I'll "Come back and talk to me once you grow a pair."(sic) Rolling Eyes

MrKow.

(I'll be picking up NWN and Sacred soon I think...my next fps will be FEAR...I didn't even bother finishing Doom3. It wasn't that good, imo)
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammo? In a first person shooter? It's not survival horror dude, it's World War II... Why would there ever be a lack of ammo (other than the first Russian missions)? CoD's difficulty is all aim, AI, and the complete inability to stick your head out like a fool... CoD and CoD2 on Veteran are challenging and I've played nearly every major FPS ever on its hardest setting.
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Shadow Hearts: Covenant for PS2 mainly...
for PC playing Worms 4, Syberia, Civilization IV, and Starcraft: Brood War

also for PS2 I randomly switch between DDS2, DQVIII, Magna Carta, Radiata Stories, Musashi Samurai Legend, and Growlanser Generations

I just cant believe I'm done with Romancing SaGa.. after playing it for so long... it almost leaves an empty feeling to be done Sad
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing and beating are two entirely different things, Liquid Smile
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:

I'm really pissed that no one's come up with a good way to use fire runes. It seems like such a freaking waste to even have them in the game, and to make the True fire rune the star of the show and having all but it's final (single target) attack worthless. That just blows.

Indeed, and unfortunately if you chose Chris as the Flame Champion, she is most probably the WORST rune user in the game. At least between the 3. So it'll take even longer to get to the final attack.
Aubstar
The Original Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did something crazy yesterday. After watching something online bout FF music, I realized it had been awhile since I played FF8. So, that's my current endeavor... I don't know how crazy you have to be to start a time consuming game the same time as a strenuous semester. Very Happy

Fools speak because they have to say something.

~Plato
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubstar wrote:
Did something crazy yesterday. After watching something online bout FF music, I realized it had been awhile since I played FF8. So, that's my current endeavor... I don't know how crazy you have to be to start a time consuming game the same time as a strenuous semester. Very Happy

Well:
Quote:
3 entries found for "Freaking."
freak
n.
# A thing or occurrence that is markedly unusual or irregular: A freak of nature produced the midsummer snow.
# An abnormally formed organism, especially a person or animal regarded as a curiosity or monstrosity.
# A sudden capricious turn of mind; a whim: “The freaks of the psyche can no more be explained than the Devil” (Maurice Collis).

"Freaking" crazy sounds sufficient.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's starting to really burn me out in Suikoden 3 is getting around in your castle. I wish there was a way to fully equip, train/tutor, upgrade, affix runes, etc to all members of your crew from one menu or at least one area of the castle. I like to experiment with a lot of different characters but between going to the bar to change your linup to running all over the fort to try and find services, I literally can burn a good two hours in my castle just getting my party together. Since I got the castle in the first place I've gone from 39 hours to 52 hours of total gameplay and I have yet to progress the story even a little bit (I've been at the part where you chase the Harmonians into the ruins by the lizard town). I recruited everyone that Kidd was able to scout (except the last dog), I've leveled most of my people to at least level 30-ish, and am now leveling up what I think is going to be my main group for a while. They're decent level for the most part, but need a lot of skill points.

Cloudcent wrote:
Indeed, and unfortunately if you chose Chris as the Flame Champion, she is most probably the WORST rune user in the game. At least between the 3. So it'll take even longer to get to the final attack.

That doesn't bother me, like I said fire runes are pretty worthless in the first place, I have other people to cast spells, she just hits stuff and does a decent enough job. I read before I picked that she was the worst with fire magic but didn't care. She's my favourite character of the three and gets a horse. The contest was over before it started.

Oh hey, I have a couple of questions about mostly irrelevant stuff. At the moment Geddoe and Hugo aren't selectable as people I can have in my party. Does that change eventually? I'm not feeling like a very cohesive group at the moment...

Also, is there a point in the game where the castle stops looking like shit? All the holes in the walls and general crumbliness? I've been putting paintings and flowers up but it doesn't really help when you're able to watch the sunset out of the gaping hole in the hallway wall.
The Original Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
Aubstar wrote:

Well:
Quote:
3 entries found for "Freaking."
freak
n.
# A thing or occurrence that is markedly unusual or irregular: A freak of nature produced the midsummer snow.
# An abnormally formed organism, especially a person or animal regarded as a curiosity or monstrosity.
# A sudden capricious turn of mind; a whim: “The freaks of the psyche can no more be explained than the Devil” (Maurice Collis).

"Freaking" crazy sounds sufficient.

I like the third entry. That's what it is. Yes, I am "Freaking" crazy. But, meh... I 'll have fun doing it! Very Happy

Fools speak because they have to say something.

~Plato
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKow convinced me to try out Guild Wars so I picked it up for the hellz of it. Don't feel like looking through this whole thread so does anyone here play it?

I don't know if I'll be getting back into WoW but maybe when the expansion comes out. I'd rather just pay for one online rpg at the moment (UO). I may play DDO when it comes out but I'm trying to keep away from the beta.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it religiously the first month or so that I had it. I still like the game and since it doesn't require huge patches after months of inactivity I still jump on every now and then but I'm not in a guild anymore so I usually just run around and solo quests and such. It really is a fun game for a while but it sorely lacks in obsessive MMO features (phat lewt in particular) which makes it much less lasting in my opinion. It's fun to collect spells/abilities, but in the end you only get to use 8 so many of them sit around collecting dust. Also in PvP people rely too much on "perfect combinations" which means that every class/subclass pairing (while there are many) has limitations. You can't really experiment within your character; you have to create a new one of a different class combination to get any game variety.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really pissed off at Suikoden 3 right now... The stupid ass game let me save it between initiating the final battle and actually taking part in it. So now I have to go into the final strat battle with a half dozen characters under level 10 (Thomas is level 1 for christ's sake...) and try to not let anyone die. I don't have any older saves and just learned about the perma death from a FAQ. I can't find out any way to not start the battle when leaving the castle now so I'm pretty sure I'm fucked. No 108 stars for me. I'm not replaying 75 hours of this shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 217, 218, 219  Next
Page 9 of 219
Jump to: