RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker review, uncut and uncensored

View previous topic :: View next topic  
?diuQiL
.hctiB .erianidroartxe tob daerhT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker review, uncut and uncensored Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/games/dragonquest/monstersjoker/review.html
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was forcing myself to be patient with the menus. They don't clunk as much when you use the stylus, but really who's going to dig out their stylus just to use the menu system every ten minutes. The biggest problem I have with the menus is that you have to have a monster in your active party in order to spend its skill points. Having to take all my monsters out of the bank to spend their SP before synthing them is a pain in the ass.

And the biggest disappointment overall is by far the monster ranking system. Sure with Pokemon there're a handful of monsters superior to the others, but for the most part, any balance group can be a viable end game party. In DQM, you just can't get away with bring low rank monsters with you anywhere at the end of the game. Sure, I like my A and S rank monsters, but I've been missing my Dracky and it's a shame that it's harder to level him into a viable group member than it is to brew a megastatted high tier monster.

Those complaints out of the way though this is still probably my favourite DS game of the year so far aside from maybe EO, which is the only game on the DS I've put more time in than this, though I'll be honest I'd wager my game time here is starting to creep up on it a little. I don't plan on getting into the post game and WFC stuff, especially since I seem to get my ass reamed every time I try an online battle, so I have a feeling after I finally bite the bullet and finish the tournament I'll finally put this one to rest, probably for good.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review wrote:
Menus are slow, clunky and inefficient. Often, the main menu will close when one cancels from an option, requiring it to be opened again to perform another action only to have it close again. Cancelling after picking two monsters in the synthesis menu will bring the player right back to the beginning of the menu instead of undoing the last selection, making comparing results very annoying. It is impossible to see how many skill points are allocated to a given monster's skills unless there are actually skill points to spend, and skill points can only be spent from the menu when the monster is in the player's three-man party, forcing a lot of unnecessary and slow party-swapping. Never mind that the numerous monsters in storage or even reserve slots gain skill points that must be spent, at risk of being accidentally wasted when synthesizing.

LiQuid! wrote:
I'm glad it wasn't just me that was forcing myself to be patient with the menus. They don't clunk as much when you use the stylus, but really who's going to dig out their stylus just to use the menu system every ten minutes. The biggest problem I have with the menus is that you have to have a monster in your active party in order to spend its skill points. Having to take all my monsters out of the bank to spend their SP before synthing them is a pain in the ass.

Yep. Sounds like Dragon Quest alright.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the biggest disappointment overall is by far the monster ranking system. Sure with Pokemon there're a handful of monsters superior to the others, but for the most part, any balance group can be a viable end game party.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed and was disappointed by this. Sure, you always get the people who are like "Rarr! Might is right! Why would you want your lame little slime when you could have an UBERSLIME!!!?" but I hate that. I'm the type of person who always tries to go with different strategies and parties than your typical strength curve.

I was struggling and struggling to beat this game and write this review, considering I've been slow due to a few road trips and a cold (don't want to overplay something when I'm feeling terrible for fear of it reflecting on the score unfairly). I was grinding and abusing the skill seeds, yet couldn't make the little jump to beating the game. The single most effective solution? Ditch my Dingaling, the one I had synthesized early on and had been in my party for at least 20 hours, and synthesize myself a nice, cool Demon-At-Arms A+3. Within less than an hour of levelling, my demon had surpassed the Dingaling in every single stat, and could attack twice to boot.

I was actually angry with myself for caving in the interests of time, but also angry at the game for literally forcing me to turn over my party to win. 20 hours to 1 hour of levelling? That's the most ridiculous gap I've ever seen in a monster training game. I was, as you say, lamenting that I couldn't pull a Pokemon and have almost any monster work.

Stuff like that really knocked down its score. It could have been Excellent with some tweaking. Better menus, ditch the ranking system, more islands and dungeons along with new music tracks for each.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was satisfied with the number/variety of the islands, considering the considerable cart size it already sports. More music would have been better, and that there was only three dungeons was kind of disappointing, but they were all still pretty well done.

Aside from that I agree completely with everything in your review and posts. For its flaws I'm still getting a ton of enjoyment out of it. I've probably spent double the amount of time with it so far than I did with Pokemon, which I really loved, but it was hard to shake the "same old, same old" vibe.
His Royal Dukeness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this game yesterday (originally preordered it on Amazon, but it got delayed twice there, so I canceled and reordered on EBgames), and have played an hour into it. The interface is definitely a bit on the clumsy side, but it is still pretty fun thus far.
Judge of Stellasolum now available at my Lulu storefront
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: