RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whoa! Political attention? To my little city?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Whoa! Political attention? To my little city? Reply with quote

Rudy Giuliani's coming to my town in another month. Should I go?
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you have a chance to punch him in his gaping maw? If not, No.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, he's gotta be the worst potential nominee in either field.
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, I want to go to at least one political rally before I die....

The kudos from several of my teachers (especially if I tell them it sucked. Why are the vast majority of teachers liberal?) might do me some good as well. Then again, I won't be voting in this election, so....
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:
At the same time, I want to go to at least one political rally before I die....

The kudos from several of my teachers (especially if I tell them it sucked. Why are the vast majority of teachers liberal?) might do me some good as well. Then again, I won't be voting in this election, so....

Most teachers do not get payed much.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met my fair share of political candidates, and honestly? Unless you have a real reason to meet the person (for example you'd like the chance to ask them a question, or you are planning on showing your support for/against them) this isn't a question worth asking. Hell, the fact you are asking us pretty much tells me you probably shouldn't go.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
I've met my fair share of political candidates, and honestly? Unless you have a real reason to meet the person (for example you'd like the chance to ask them a question, or you are planning on showing your support for/against them) this isn't a question worth asking. Hell, the fact you are asking us pretty much tells me you probably shouldn't go.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't. The only reason I really might is that there is an issue at the federal level here that really is causing the area massive issues: I want to see if that is addressed and what he has to say about it, if he can come up with anything. God damned Section 8 abuse.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking Section 8 `MASH` style, Or something else?
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section 8 government housing aid.

It's a very, very big problem out here.
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
Most teachers do not get payed much.

No wonder.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:

In what way? I'd hate to troll you for supporting getting more of it if it turned out you were actually concerned about how it is so often abused.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
Strategos wrote:

In what way? I'd hate to troll you for supporting getting more of it if it turned out you were actually concerned about how it is so often abused.

Here's the abuse: Landlord buys a $700,000 dollar house (The current average suburban home here, sadly. That's why my family rents). Landlord authorizes house for Section 8. Section 8 tenants move in, with the government covering the vast majority of their housing fees. What's so wrong with this? Well, the fact that many people who do not qualify for Section 8 housing can not afford to live in such houses. People are paying tax dollars so that other people can live in nicer houses in nicer neighborhoods than they. What the fuck is with that? There needs to be a limit on Section 8 funding. These people should not be allowed to live anywhere. I myself am wronged by this: there are people in this very neighborhood living in houses that my family could not afford to live in that are only able to live in such houses because of Section 8. What the hell did the Section 8 people do to deserve this? Oh, that's right. They had a lot of kids and didn't work hard enough.

To compound the issues, because Section 8 is more responsible for the house than they, they tend to feel very little need to maintain the houses properly, or treat the neighborhood and area with respect. What ends up happening is that when the Landlords abuse the system like this (it allows them more tenants at a higher rent), it ships in people undeserving of what they get, and moreover ungrateful for what they get. These people generally maintain messy and loud houses, driving property values down.

That's what's up with Section 8. Ungrateful and undeserving people fucking it up for everyone else. There are far less expensive areas not twenty miles from here. Houses there cost only 200k if that. If you need government aid for your housing, go live in a worse area than my family - the people who worked for their god damned houses. Hell, we can still barely afford this! The Section 8s are usually on Welfare and the rest of the Government aid stuff, so in the end, they usually have more disposable income than people like myself who do not qualify for the program. The entire god damned system needs reforming.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:
Here's the abuse:

[And then he preaches it]

Fuck yes. I was worried you were one of those "We need more money for section 8!" crap.
datguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw me in there as well. The only housing my wife and I can afford is in the worst sections of town or so far away from our jobs we'd lose too much money. Renting is not even a consideration; you can buy houses for cheaper than the rent around here.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine who owns property is said sections of town walks into his places to find people who won't pay their rent with brand new 40" LCD TVs. Almost all of them are on welfare.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
Strategos wrote:
Here's the abuse:

[And then he preaches it]

f--- yes. I was worried you were one of those "We need more money for section 8!" crap.

I'm 100% sure you're just trolling, but I like any excuse to drive my political opinion home, so....

I'm fairly sure that this problem would resolve if we just gave Section 8 less money. Then they'd have to spend more frugally and pay attention to what the government was fronting for so the Section 8s won't be in houses I can't afford!
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to go on record, again, as saying I am 100% against any and all government sponsored welfare whether federal, state, local, or any other.

Taking care of people should be the sole responsibility of their families and private charities if people feel inclined to give to them.

Honestly I don't believe the federal government can do anything outside of a very very strict reading of the constitution. Anything else is up to state and local governments, of which I prefer a very minimalistic libertarian policy would be best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking in general: Even with what little has been said here, and as infamous as some Section 8 landlords are known to be, this thread is biased, lacks plenty scrutiny and is offensive on quite a few levels. Simply put, either the lack of synthetic thinking or audit, or perhaps simply the particular places you live in, will keep me away from properly (and perhaps politically) responding beyond this. Albeit, I feel I need my voice be heard to an extent. Such a hypocrite in some ways I am, I know. Enjoy.

[However, to Strategos: 1) I agree with the last sentence in Sethimothy's original post, and 2) good luck on having Rudy even caring. He doesn't strike me as the type, imo.]
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:

I'm fairly sure that this problem would resolve if we just gave Section 8 less money. Then they'd have to spend more frugally and pay attention to what the government was fronting for so the Section 8s won't be in houses I can't afford!

Holy shit I'm not the only one? Whenever I brought this opinion up in Louisiana I was told that I was support ingthe beating of women because they all need this money and the children they refused to abort would be forced to live on the street and this money is always spent to help those that needed it and blah blah blah just shut up and look at how it is being misspent. :/ God damned, it seemed like anyone could jump through a couple of hoops and get housing that was free to them. Of course, it isn't free to the rest of us. :/

Is Deus a Scientologist, into artificial intelligence, the victim of a rogue word lover, or a master of psychobabble gibberish? Because his second sentence comes across as incomprehensible jargon that hints at anger and discontent but fails to uses words that would lead one to believe he isn't a native-born speaker. :/
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
Strategos wrote:

Holy sh** I'm not the only one? Whenever I brought this opinion up in Louisiana I was told that I was support ingthe beating of women because they all need this money and the children they refused to abort would be forced to live on the street and this money is always spent to help those that needed it and blah blah blah just shut up and look at how it is being misspent. :/ God damned, it seemed like anyone could jump through a couple of hoops and get housing that was free to them. Of course, it isn't free to the rest of us. :/

Is Deus a Scientologist, into artificial intelligence, the victim of a rogue word lover, or a master of psychobabble gibberish? Because his second sentence comes across as incomprehensible jargon that hints at anger and discontent but fails to uses words that would lead one to believe he isn't a native-born speaker. :/

Sounds to me like Deus suffers from a disease common in users of the internet. The official medical term is self righteous, and it seems to be compounded with another more common, if less potent, disease known as moral high ground.

What's so wrong and without scrutiny with being pissed off that the government buys them housing better than my own, for which I work sweat and blood?
Deus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scientologist? Heh.

None of the above anyways. No self-righteousness here. None of that bullshit. Maybe a few sprinkles of fancy words. That's all. Do notice that beyond all I've said, I included: "...or perhaps simply the particular places you live in..."

I don't know where this may be. You could be getting the short straw badly as such.

However, for example, I'm from NYC, where the shittiest neighborhoods are getting small-time facade-ONLY renovations and upping the renting price by upwards of 60%+ (google it). Good luck finding a studio apartment for less than $1500 monthly, IN Harlem, nevermind the more 'prestigious' neighborhoods. Pretty much, unless you want to live in the infamous yet affordable and often-rapped-about South Bronx, you're not gonna be able to make ends meet. Futhermore, all the emotionally-poor single mothers out there whose 'baby daddies' left them for broke... you MUST sympathize with them. Most of them are strong-headed independent individuals who refused to abort their child and instead chose to keep their heads up and deal with the circumstances at hand. What do you want them to do... move out of town so the more well-off can move in? Just an example.

Another random example: Katrina-devastated residents. You know how many realtors are hungry for buying these people out only to fix and up the prices? Should these devastated people, in essence, now move and find Section 8 elsewhere? Hm. I dunno.

Anyways, I'm trying to see this issue from both sides, which is why I earlier said you could be getting the short straw which would suck in your case/s. But for many people Section 8 is not "cheating the system" or taking advantage of a good thing, it's simply a way of living their EVERY DAY lives, you know? If you're upset where you live at, think of all the people TOO POOR to even afford Section 8. That's just horrible.

Anyways, I don't even know why I jumped into this topic especially given it's my first post in quite some time. I'm not political and in the end these things are usually beyond my control -- although that kind of mentality probably keeps these things beyond my control.

All I can say is, beyond apologizing for such a lengthy post, if in your section of the country you feel this strongly about it, then go do something. Physically do something. Fcuk Rudy, don't wait for no elections, start harassing your representatives, senators, city council-members, and so forth NOW... no? Lastly, shouldn't you be more upset with the root of the reasons why you wouldn't want to live anywhere else other than in Section 8 neighborhoods? Just a thought. Just a thought.

If you really wanna debate this with me, PM me by all means, we can shoot it up in AIM or some sht. Then talk about games and the girlies and whatnot. :]

Nothing but respect, stay up, peace out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: