RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAXES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: TAXES Reply with quote

The last couple years I've had to pay in so I waited til the last minute to do mine. Took out all my paperwork last night to finally do my taxes.

Anyway, did you guys get nice refunds or you also having to pay in?

I only had to pay in $350 to Federal and $40 to state but was still annoyed. Thought maybe my part time job would even things out but guess not.

Getting $250 back for my renter's rebate. It went down from last year because I made more money but at least I get something.

And to those of you people who live in Minnesota, wow does MN tax forms/prep get more retarded every year.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Texas with no state income taxes and only 8.25% sales tax!
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota - 6.5% sales tax

Groceries and clothes - non taxable

Edit: Decided to check out what Texas does, and I guess they actually have a slightly lower state sales tax of 6.25%, but you're really getting raped by city tax - 2%. Also, there are tax exemptions on food and medicine, but the food is far more limited than the Minnesota exemption.

City tax here doesn't really go over .5% I don't think, even in the Twin Cities.

I personally pay .5% city tax for a total of 7% here.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited too long so my accountant is filing an extension for me. I also don't keep reciepts for anything, so I'm totally gonna have to wing it when tallying my write offs.

Lucky me I get to start paying property tax too next year. Maturity sucks ass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, those are due soon aren't they? Ay. I should get a decent amount back though, especially including tuition reimbursement.
Aubstar
The Original Geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back from both state and federal. All in all I ended up getting about $1150 back.

But, that's probably just because i was a student.

Oh, and Utah's sales taxes are weird. We just changed them... We used to have like 6.25% on food. But, the just lowered it to 4.25% on all food and groceries except ready-to-eat stuff. So, we're still paying higher in restaurants and food stands and stuff... but if you want to just buy the groceries you pay less...

Fools speak because they have to say something.

~Plato
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I bitch all the time about the limitations of being young, but that's really just because I like to complain - in ten years I'll be like you guys doing my taxes - all the while complaining about them and cursing the limitations of being over eighteen. God damn, but life's fun like that. I'll always have something to complain about, so I can stay a cynical, half-empty bastard the rest of my life. I hate to say it, but... Things are looking up!
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:
Sure, I bitch all the time about the limitations of being young, but that's really just because I like to complain - in ten years I'll be like you guys doing my taxes - all the while complaining about them and cursing the limitations of being over eighteen. God damn, but life's fun like that. I'll always have something to complain about, so I can stay a cynical, half-empty bastard the rest of my life. I hate to say it, but... Things are looking up!

You make it sound like you're ten years old or something.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geh, I forgot to pick up a Utah state tax thing before leaving the state, and it's a bit late now. Fricking hell. Maybe I'll find it online. $158 Utah owes me. >:/
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - just barely sixteen. I'm just giving ten years as a round number. Plus, that's probably about how old I'll be when my parents finally get sick and tired of me pawning my taxes off on them... The day will come, when 'But Mom, Dad, I didn't take business math at school because of that bastard programme you forced me into, so Taxes scare me.' won't get a 'True... oh, alright.' but instead a 'Fuck off, Jacob. We already know you're just taking advantage of us.'

And yes, 'Fuck off,' is exactly how my parents would say it. What I didn't learn from the cholos, I learned from them.
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$449 from Fed, $17 from state.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
Geh, I forgot to pick up a Utah state tax thing before leaving the state, and it's a bit late now. Fricking hell. Maybe I'll find it online. $158 Utah owes me. >:/

Turbotax man, you can file all your state income taxes there at the same time as your federal.

and Owo, yeah we have no taxes on medicine or any food that has not been precooked (IE. resturaunt food). Also we have like 1 or 2 weeks a year where nearly everything it seems is tax free (Back to school weeks they call them) All clothes, backpacks, shoes, basically anything you would need for school becomes tax free during this time. Also, that's when most stores have their huge yearly sales (sometimes even more so than around the holiday time). But still no income tax is awesome. And sales taxes change here depending on how much the county/city adds to the state tax.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did my federal. $319 coming my way.
-> Insert Sigh of relief <-
Got off my stonage ass and got the online forms for Utah's state dealie. Lemme see if I can snag something out of that....
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot taken out of my checks, and I don't qualify for most earned income credit because I'm not 25 yet. I'm getting just under $80 Federal and about $45 from the state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: