RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Super Mario platformers, ranked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious - how is the "NEW Super Mario Bros." as far as gameplay is concerned? I considered picking it up but from game play trailers I've seen it looks ridiculously gimmicky. :/

My rankings of the above games based on the ones I've played:

Super Mario 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 1
Super Mario 2 True ("Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels")
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Land 1
Super Mario Bros. 2 ("US")
Super Mario Sunshine
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
LiQuid! wrote:
It's the best platformer of all time.

Someone never played Plok.

That is very much not true. I actually still have the Plok cartridge (I don't even have my Yoshi's Island cart anymore). It rocks very much, but nothing will ever hold a candle to Yoshi's Island. Sorry dude.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:

Super Mario 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 1
Super Mario 2 True ("Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels")
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Land 1
Super Mario Bros. 2 ("US")
Super Mario Sunshine

Please tell me why you ranked SMB2 so low.

I hate you.

Maybe this is a dream that I will wake up from. Kinda like in SMB2.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, SMB2 isn't even a Super Mario game. It's a fucking imposter. Still kind of fun, but it's so abnormal and silly compared to the rest of the series that compared to the rest it looks like poop.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Dude, SMB2 isn't even a Super Mario game. It's a f---ing imposter. Still kind of fun, but it's so abnormal and silly compared to the rest of the series that compared to the rest it looks like poop.

Nah SM2 had cooler enemies than the rest. Shy Guy is cool as hell.

You just think that because you are a half fag.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with the enemies. If you'll recall, most of the enemies from Yoshi's Island originated in SMB2... Though the gameplay was so un-Mario that it detracted from the experience. I even felt it way back in the days of the NES when I first played it. I knew something wasn't right and when SMB3 came out it confirmed it. I could tell SMB2 just didn't belong in that evolution.
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shake shake shake

oh wait, I'm way off...
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:

Because it sucked? Seriously, it was nothing like the rest of the series (which was to be understood because it was basically a ripped-off version of another game) and terribly slow paced. Sure, it had a great influence on many other Super Mario Bros. games after it (save three) but it wasn't even par with the rest of the series.

It may be a dream for you, but for the rest of us it was a lukewarm nightmare.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethimothy wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:

Because it sucked? Seriously, it was nothing like the rest of the series (which was to be understood because it was basically a ripped-off version of another game) and terribly slow paced. Sure, it had a great influence on many other Super Mario Bros. games after it (save three) but it wasn't even par with the rest of the series.

It may be a dream for you, but for the rest of us it was a lukewarm nightmare.

Are you kidding? It doesn't matter how it fit in with the rest of the series. It was a dang fun game, and as it became assimilated into the Mario canon, I don't see how the fact that it's a ripoff makes any difference. I have no qualms whatsoever with them slapping Mario characters on that game and calling it a Mario game, because adding the characters as a motif doesn't detract from the fun, nor does it diminish any other Mario games.

It was second only to Bubble Bobble as THE game on our NES, in my childhood, and still has one of the highest playtime to fun ratios of any game in this house, period. Also, it was way harder to play through normally without warps than the other two Mario games. I used to think SMB3 was hard, but last time I pulled it out I got to World 6 without even a game over, and only stopped because it froze. Also, I loved 2's long, sprawling levels.

I don't know how many people you're including in that "us," but most any of my family, brother's friends, or my friends are not part of it. We pulled out the NES, THAT was the game we played first and foremost.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LiQuid in that it(SMB2) was "still kind of fun". But that's about it, and it's way down on my list, so I guess I'm included in Seth's grouping. I had fun with it, but it couldn't touch SMB1 or SMB3 on the NES.

Shy Guys do indeed kick ass, though. That's pretty much fact.

edit: Oh, and when I got Super Mario Allstars on the SNES, I played the hell out of the Lost Levels. Forgot about that until Seth brought it up. Good stuff.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:
Are you kidding?

Why would I be?

And there's fun somewhere in that game? Aside from making fun of the first gender confused character in a video game, where was it?

Quote:
We pulled out the NES, THAT was the game we played first and foremost.

Must have been a huge step up from tic-tac-toe eh?
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I would ever break out my NES again would be to play Operation Wolf. SMB2 can be played better elsewhere.

And if you consider Lost Levels as the reason SMB2 (as it should be) it's still the toughest installment in the series. Even if Doki Doki Panic is in and of itself a fun platformer, it's not a very good Mario game. It has virtually no gameplay similarities with any other game in the series.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
The only reason I would ever break out my NES again would be to play Operation Wolf.

I wish I had an arcade machine for that. Damn, that was a fun game...
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Even if Doki Doki Panic is in and of itself a fun platformer, it's not a very good Mario game. It has virtually no gameplay similarities with any other game in the series.

I don't see how that first sentence flows into the second sentence. If the first is a reason for the latter, that's pretty weak.

I mean...

LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'm getting your correlation there.

For starters, I don't judge FF games against each other. I haven't since II and III (US versions) on the SNES, before I knew better. XII was just a great RPG. The fact that it doesn't play like people expect FF games to play isn't a pro or con or even a contrastable element to me personally, especially since I pretty much know whether I'm going to enjoy a particular installment based on concept art alone.

The Mario platformers on the other hand (the 2D ones anyways) are all similar in concept, atmosphere and gameplay except SMB2 US. Doki Doki Panic is one of the best platformers on the NES, but it doesn't look, feel or play like a Mario game.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Not sure I'm getting your correlation there.

Well, in much the same way, I don't get how something not playing a whole lot like other games in the series is a determining factor in its Awesome Quotient.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't even belong in the lineup in the first place as far as I'm concerned. That'd be like sticking Final Fantasy Adventure or Mystic Quest in a ranking list of best FF titles. They're better than 80% of the real FF games, but they were localized by marketing idiots as a FF titles.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god. The fact that people on here are not considering SMB2 as a real mario game has got me going nuts.

Fuck off.

That is all I am going to say. It might have not been a "real" mario game at first but jesus christ it did help the animated series. Not to mention the rest of the series of mario. SMB2 brought so many characters and other stage ideas to SMB you have no idea.

YES... It might have been a different game while development. I know it should have been a different game. BUT I am glad it became part of the mario genre. It would have been boring otherwise.

For all the naysayers I say fuck you. you guys do not know what video games are. I stand by this as someone that was around when both SMB1 and 2 came out.

oh yeah... wait .... Fuck you two for critisizing what I was thinking about. You didn't think I would get you tim.

This message brought to you by drunk Idin. He had around 9 Dog Fish Head 60 Minute's. I apologise.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
For all the naysayers I say f--- you. you guys do not know what video games are. I stand by this as someone that was around when both SMB1 and 2 came out.

Yea, cause there's no way any of us could possibly be over 20!
True Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
For all the naysayers I say f--- you. you guys do not know what video games are. I stand by this as someone that was around when both SMB1 and 2 came out.

oh yeah... wait .... f--- you two for critisizing what I was thinking about. You didn't think I would get you tim.

This message brought to you by drunk Idin. He had around 9 Dog Fish Head 60 Minute's. I apologise.

Damn I need to drink with you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: