RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The catch-all DS thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even tried Children of Mana yet, but did get it with a giftcard. I'm waiting on a friend to come down tomorrow so we can multiplay that shit. For some reason...i can never play a mana game by myself. They are only fun with friends. I hope this one delivers!
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Post. I win.

So I finally got around to starting Children of Mana, and while I like it, I wouldn't like it if it didn't have the following things:

Mana universe(most important)
Co-op play.

The game is completely average in every conceivable way. And while I did have fun with it, I couldn't force myself to play it on my own. It'll be one of those games that pops in when a certain friend comes to hang out(couple times a month).

This series seriously hasn't aged well, and now it's pretty much confirmed that Dawn of Mana is going to suck? Ehh.. They should seriously just clone Secret of Mana. I'd be all for it, just change the locations. The one city hub setting just doesn't do it for me.

Hopefully Heroes of Mana ends up good, as it looks like it will be at this point.
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1003.html
Quote:
Banpresto has announced Super Robot Taisen W for Nintendo DS. The game, which marks the series' debut on the DS, will feature mechs and characters from 17 different anime series.

Super Robot Taisen W will be available on March 1st in Japan.

http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_w/index.html
^ Official site

Dunno if it'll come to America or not though.
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm Well as I understand it the members of the series that use robots from anime series have trouble because of all the licensing issues, so I'm thinking we're not going to see it over here.
True Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn shame. That last GBA Super Robot War was pretty hawt
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been trying to play Yggdra Union again and I have some questions since it's starting to annoy me.

1. Does the game stay as linear as it is right now? I'm only on the fourth or fifth fight and am still getting tutorial shiat, so I might not be into the actual meat of the game yet, but does the game follow a rigid story>fight>save>story>fight>save structure? I'm starting to really hate linear TRPG's and much prefer when I have the ability to dick around and level up my characters.

2. Anyone else feel the one attack per turn limit is kind of gay? Even with formations so you can have other characters join the attack, it still seems pretty retarded.

3. Is there any type of character customization at all? Doesn't look like there's going to be any from what I see now.

So far the first few fights have not sold me on the game. Compound on that the fact that I keep dying or fuckeng up and using all my cards while trying to level up Yggdra in these two fights I'm on, and can't save between (where you save the knight dude), and I'm getting pretty annoyed and would rather spend my time playing Mazes of Fate. Anyone have some encouraging words for me?
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because the CADST needs more loving lately, have a helping of Revenant Wings stuff. This game's looking pretty hot so far. Multiple esper summons is a good thing. Hopefully they aren't completely useless in this game. Having just capped off FFXII, I really can't wait to get balls deep in this one.
Duckslit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
So I've been trying to play Yggdra Union again and I have some questions since it's starting to annoy me.

1. Does the game stay as linear as it is right now? I'm only on the fourth or fifth fight and am still getting tutorial shiat, so I might not be into the actual meat of the game yet, but does the game follow a rigid story>fight>save>story>fight>save structure? I'm starting to really hate linear TRPG's and much prefer when I have the ability to dick around and level up my characters.

2. Anyone else feel the one attack per turn limit is kind of gay? Even with formations so you can have other characters join the attack, it still seems pretty retarded.

3. Is there any type of character customization at all? Doesn't look like there's going to be any from what I see now.

So far the first few fights have not sold me on the game. Compound on that the fact that I keep dying or fuckeng up and using all my cards while trying to level up Yggdra in these two fights I'm on, and can't save between (where you save the knight dude), and I'm getting pretty annoyed and would rather spend my time playing Mazes of Fate. Anyone have some encouraging words for me?

Here are my encouraging words, though you'll probably scoff.

1. I'm on the eighth battle and still getting chunks of tutorial, though each battle they become less and less large and frequent. I much prefer it this way, because the system is fairly complicated when taken in all at once, and I'd rather adapt each new piece to fit my strategy. If you're only fourth or fifth, you certainly haven't gained control of skills yet or encountered any real obstacles. Battlefields number six and seven are where you really start to get into the meat of the strategy.
If you hate the tutorials or running through text or certain effects, you can hold down R to fast forward it.

And no, the game doesn't change in its order, here, but I find that to be part of the fun--using your limited tools to progress. You may have noticed that some battles chain together and refill your cards, so once you figure out the conditions to progress to the next piece of battle, you can use the extra turns that would be wasted to level up or grab items. For example, in battlefield 8, you have to kill two golems, which I can do in three turns tops. But with eight turns to dispense, I'd rather spend some time taking down the dollcrafter and the reinforcements that show up.

Finally, if you really want to level grind, you'd be out of luck, since level ups provide minimal stat boosts--to really make the difference, you would need a great deal of extra levels, which would negate a lot of strategic weaknesses and turn your characters into juggernauts. I would think that winning every battle would make the game boring, not the lack of levelling up. As much as I tried to fight it at first, teh game is built so your characters are capable of losing quite a few times, and it's OK to do so.

2. Not really, since you can have four or five fights going on at once. I'd say that it's a pretty fair balance to the system, and realistic enough. The trick is the count your opponents attacks as opportunities also--when you've got two or more groups of opponents, your counters to their attacks are as important to anticipate as your own turn.

3. Once the equipment on your guys wears out, you can reequip them with new stuff, so there's a bit of that customization you're looking for, especially since some equipment can make a substantial difference. Find the good stuff in suspicious looking spots on the map, if you can spare the movement.

I'm surprised that you're dying so much there, so here's a different way to look at it:
Start out each map by finding your goal. Eliminate as much as you can in between you and your goal. Get your goal as close to completion as possible without doing so. Spend all but your last turns killing off the extra minions and gaining experience. Then beat your goal. Try to do this all quickly with good strategy, since completing maps in less turns nets your MVP a hefty and permanent stat boost.

Don't think about it as "dicking around and levelling up" or you are going to run out of cards.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you were right, I didn't find anything in that post encouraging and I'm probably going to stop playing it. Much like Riviera it sounds like they're trying too much new stuff at the expense of the game being fun.

The couple times I ran out of turns/died it was because I wasn't properly anticipating the amount of turns I was going to need to finish part of the battle, and/or losing too much morale trying to gain EXP when I didn't know that the second part of the battle carried your morale over. I've since gone back and beaten it with very little problem.

All in all the linearity of the game paired with the fact that it's so unconventional is what kills it for me. I ran into the same problem with the Fire Emblem and Front Mission games where it's just story>battle>save ad nauseum and I can't handle TRPG's like that. I need my TRPG's to be more open like FFT/Tactics Ogre or the NIS games. I need to be able to dick around. I especially hate having to look for "suspicious map areas" especially on a game with such rigid limits on the amount of stuff you can do on any one turn. This game's getting a pass from me and I'm gonna go ahead and say it's one of the most overrated RPG's of the year. Off to try to Super Robot games I guess.

Edit: actually speaking of the Super Robot games, why in samfuck did Atlus translate the title as "Super Robot Taisen" instead of Super Robot Wars? I don't understand partial translations of games. I might skip that series too just based on principle alone.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:

Edit: actually speaking of the Super Robot games, why in *spelunk did Atlus translate the title as "Super Robot Taisen" instead of Super Robot Wars? I don't understand partial translations of games. I might skip that series too just based on principle alone.

I think it is named that because it is not "Super Robot Wars". Super Robot Wars has a bunch of anime characters and what not that are copyrighted or something.

Where Super Robot Taisen has characters made up by the game developer and does not use robots or characters from other anime series or whatever.

I don't think I am entirely correct but it has something to do with that. Meaning that we can't have the same thing over seas because of these copyrights or something.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're wrong about that.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Just played the first two battles of SRW and that's about all that series is getting out of me... Rigid, linear structure? Long, drawn-out and insipid anime dialogue? "TRPG for Dummies" gameplay? All check. Yggdra Union looks exemplary by comparison. Maybe I'll stick it out with that one for a few more battles. At the very least that one's got some originality to it.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
I think you're wrong about that.

SRW WIKI wrote:
It should be noted that the Original Generation series of Super Robot Wars games are easier to release outside of Japan due to a lack of licensing issues.

That was what I was trying to say. Maybe they changed it so it does not get mixed up with SRW in japan. Either way it is a dumb idea to hate a game base on how it was named.

Also I do not see how SRW might be unoriginal seeing that it came out back in the Game Boy days.

Also SRT has what you were bitching about in Yggdra Union. You can totally customize your characters and robots.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're still the same series. OG just has less licenses? Didn't we get an official SRW title over here for SNES or PSX or something anyways?

You could customize your robots in Front Mission too, but it was still a crappy game with the most basic of TRPG systems, hyperlinear progression and an uninteresting plot, which is what I got from the first few battles of SRT.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Didn't we get an official SRW title over here for SNES or PSX or something anyways?

No.
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i'd like to say that i absolutely loved both SRT: OG games, and that i thought especially the second one had a pretty good story

also, i love its battle system, even if it is rather standard SRPG fare... it does what it does extremely well, and that's having sweet looking robots whoop each other's asses in some really sweet animations

and completely unrelated:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/hotelduskroom215/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary
this game once again proves that the DS owns... a noir mystery? count me in

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randar23rhenn wrote:

and completely unrelated:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/hotelduskroom215/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary
this game once again proves that the DS owns... a noir mystery? count me in

I'm actually pretty excited to try that. I've got a 25 dollar gift card for walmart, so i'm gonna try and snag a copy from there(if they have it) in the next couple days.
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm also up on that sometime soon. Phoenix Wright 2 is out and in my possession now though...and that comes first definitely. That game gives me deja vu of Deja Vu though. Whoa.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games like Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright kind of upset me. They don't provide much in actual gameplay, so I don't find them worth the $30-35 price of admission. I actually played Trace Memory; my roommate bought it for like $15 after it went bargain bin. I thought that was a pretty good price for a game like that. You just play through it once, solve the puzzles, read through the storyline and then it's over. Like playing an interactive book. I don't understand how games like that justify their price tags, which is why I'll probably never buy them. Sucks because Hotel Dusk seems really rad. I just think my $35 is better spent on something I'll actually get some gameplay (and perhaps even some replayability) out of, like Yoshi's Island 2.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, question about Phoenix Wright...

It seems that the general idea goes like, the other side is saying their stuff and you're like:
You: Objection!
Judge: overruled, that's not it...
Other side: blah blah blah
Judge: overruled, that's not it...
Other side: blah blah blah
Judge: Hmmmm, yes, sustained (You're onto something).

That seems like it would get old. Doesn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 11 of 37
Jump to: