RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The catch-all DS thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like how the player can use the stylus for absolutely everything, or almost nothing at all. Sometimes I like using it, sometimes I don't feel like it, so I think that's pretty great.

Yeah in that respect it's a lot like Animal Crossing: Wild World. Sometimes it feels good to go one way, sometimes the other. I think I do more stylus action in Animal Crossing, though. Neither feels like you have to do inane and forced switching between buttons/stylus like my ever-hated Lost in Blue.

In other news, since I don't think it's been mentioned much hereabouts, Kirby: Squeak Squad is a pretty fun--if easy and extremely short--Kirby game that looks absolutely freaking great on DS. Pales in comparison to the GBA Kirby's, but still a fun game...especially if you like Kirby.

(>'-')> <('-'<) ^('-')^ v('-')v <('-'<)
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randar23rhenn wrote:
i find Disgaea's humor to be awful usually, as well as most NIS games...

I've never really found any of their games humorous. The characters and situations tend to be quirky, but never humorous. There were a couple of moments in Makai Kingdom I liked though. I think, in many ways, I'm glad I got Disgaea II as well - some of the characters are pretty decent. However, the story is thin as hell; it's main appeal is unlocking some of the boss fights and going through the item worlds.

Anyways, today I get a DS and Final Fantasy III. I used to use my roommates a lot, before he broke his. I could never justify buying one in and of itself though, because I've never been much of a portable gamer. However, the system has more than proven itself as a solid investment since it came out, and now I have enough throw-away cash to get one, so... gonna go get it. And some games, at least one of which will be FFIII. And maybe a wireless router to play games wirelessly.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I don't need to preach to you since you already got one, but it's like, why do people still feel the need to use the "I'm not a portable gamer" line? The DS and the PSP have proven that the line between the two is thinning at an amazing rate.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because a computer or a television have such a larger screen and better sound system?

Damn, the DS Lite's built in sound system sucks. I'll have to get headphones.

Also, I couldn't get FF 3 because it was sold out, so I got Children of Mana instead. It brings back memories, in many ways, but at the same time my verdict is still out on it.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... I guess people put more stock in A/V quality than I do. I personally don't see anything wrong with the was DS games look or sound as opposed to on my crappy 21" tube TV from the 90's. Being able to play on the shitter makes up for the fact that the screen is smaller IMO.
True Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I get New Super Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi DS, Trauma Center DS or Castlevania: PoR? I'm thinking New SMB for the win. It sounds like a must have title.
Call him SMX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finally played Portrait of Ruin, I can say that so far it's just as awesome as I hoped it'd be, living up to the typical CV standard of great gameplay, music, and graphics, Snax.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Super Mario Bros is good. But it's kind of short. Probably about 10 hours max.

Mario and Luigi is actually really fun, But I got tired of the timed attacks.

I haven't played Trauma Center. I was thinking of getting it for the Wii since they have pussy difficulty.

And PoR is fucking awesome. I'm playing through it right now.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote PoR.

As said, NSMB is frickin awesome, but too short to justify purchase over the others... totally play it tho when i get the chance.

Trauma center is frickin tits, but its so HARD... i got a part i couldnt beat and just gave up after three days of trying to beat a surgery... games shouldbt be that frustrating. i still love it tho and recommend it, just be prepared to either give up or try for weeks before you pass it.

mario and luigi was kind of fun for a few hours, but it's honestly not even close to being as funny as the GBA Mario and luigi game, and the battle system gets tiring after a while... boss fights become an endurance test after a while when u start relying on the best bro items and their repetitive combos in order to do max damage. there's no real strategy involved other than being able to time monotonous button combos. overall i think this series should be a lot better.

I take it uve played aria and dawn of sorrow right? if not, make sure uve played all the GBA 'vanias and dawn of sorry before u bite into PoR. there's no story correlation or anything, but u can get the previous four games on the massive cheap and they are all very much worthy of playing for a ton of different reasons.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so exciting that i can actually offer solid opinions on all four games u asked about... since as im sure u know im such a diehard DS enthusiast. i hope to some day own every single game on the system... that probably wont happen, but i swear im gonna give it my best shot. even games that normally sound sucky to me (mario and luigi for instance) become instantly awesome whent hey're on the DS... that's the kind of power that system has over my soul (which i sold today for a dollar at the bar ... that might come back to bite me on the ass some day).
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hope to some day own every single game on the system...

Even those games I saw in the "Girl's" section of Gamestop? Think there was a Barbie game there...
True Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting New SMB before reading most of your replies last night. I'm now on World 6 and having a good time. I'm a bit disapointed that it seems you can skip two of the worlds though (without pipes even) to get to World 8. That lends some replay value but it does seem like a short game. Oh well it's about as fun a Mario game as I could've asked for especially since I don't dig 3D Mario games as much as the 2D ones.

Liquid: I have played Aria and it rocked. Probably gonna pass on Dawn of Sorrow because PoR looks more interesting. I'll probably pick up PoR next. Although the fact that Dawn is cheap now does have some merit...hmm decisions.

I need to get as much gaming in as possible before the WoW Burning Crusade expansion comes out on Jan. 16th. I'm probably gonna get sucked in again, much to the chagrin of my wife and pretty much everyone I know...
DS games win for portability though.

*Edit*: Dawn of Sorrow is still $34.99 at Best Buy, the same price as PoR. WTF?
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try Wal-Mart or related goods? They usually have games cheaper, in my experience. Also, it's a Castlevania game...that's just life.

As far as portable gaming inferior blah blah...if the visuals and sound are a concern there's no reason to still be playing NES/SNES/Genesis/Friends, but people do. A lot. A freaking great game is a freaking great game, and right now there really isn't an incoming flood of freaking great games other than on DS. In this generation transitional period, DS sorta just swooped down and owned faces.

Edit: Also, first post of 2007, bitches!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, dont stkip Dawn just cause PoR looks good... both of those games are f---in tits... esopecially if u played aria... play them in order... not for any story reasons, just cuz its like a gameplay progression or whatev... see?
True Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out Dawn first. I had some reservations about using the touchpad to seal the bosses. That would suck to be on a boss then miss a seal, die and have to fight him again...but on the other hand it might be a good challenge. If it happens on the last boss I'll probably kill someone though.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tacked on an kind of annoying, but it's far from a deal breaker. The game's still great.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Children of Mana supposed to be short? I just beat it in about 16 hours. :/ I suppose I could try playing the game with a character other than the Wanderer, but I'm not terribly sold on the idea, and the only quests I have yet to play with are the ones the Dudbears give.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a lot of whiners at GameFAQs have beaten it in under 15 hours. I personally played the JP version for 20 hours without beating it and I've got about 17 in my US game and am only just done with the Mana Ruins (where you fight the big black blob monster with the eyes).

For comparison's sake, I beat Sword of Mana on my first play through in 18 hours to the minute. Children of Mana isn't really any worse, and if you aren't sick of the game's repetitive nature by the time you beat it there's a lot of replay to be had from it. The game feels totally different when you switch your main weapon and its coresponding mastery gems (I've been sticking to the game's predilections: boy/sword, girl/bow, etc). My US character is Tumble with the bow as the primary weapon (since I found it weak while playing Flick) and it's like night and day once you load up all the good gems for it. The penetrating triple shot makes me do hundreds of damage per shot if the enemies are lined up for it.

If I ever do a replay I think I might try Pop while upgrading magic. The only thing I don't like about this is the one spirit per trip thing. As a magic centric character, Pop should have had access to more spirits.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it unusual that my first play through had me running around with specialization in both the sword and the sickle/flail? Damn I loves me some flail. The bow I never got into, although it's certainly better than it was in Sword of Mana. Sword of Mana annoyed me... :/

Maybe I'll play again on a later date with the girl, or the magic user. I have no interest in using the default boy character...
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if you read my stuff in the review thread NR posted, but I hated the bow too. It's all about the gems. When it just shoots a single, non-penetrating arrow, the bow is pretty worthless unless you're killing stuff over a chasm. But once you get the mastery gems equipped you can do more damage with the bow (to every enemy in front of you) than any other weapon. The charge ability (the music notes) is also good once you get the gem that puts enemies to sleep. The flail was a great complementary backup weapon to it though, for if you got surrounded and needed a quick push to enemies to get some room to move around. Playing with the sword and playing with the bow is almost like playing a totally different game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 10 of 37
Jump to: