RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the hardest battle in RPG history?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: What's the hardest battle in RPG history? Reply with quote

I honestly don't really know... tons have given me problems, but none have seemed too out of hand

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including MMORPGs or no?

Because there's a HNM in FFXI that normally takes a good 24 hours for three groups of ever-changing lvl 75 players (as few would play an MMORPG 24 hours straight doing the same thing, and one would want to switch out resource-lacking players to keep downtime minimal) to beat. This summons a God creature in the game.

Of course, the group that took it on was primarily Japanese.

Bahamut in FFIV used to give me a lot of crap because of his breath attack, but enough leveling could keep at least one person alive.

Qulex (sp?) from Super Mario RPG could be a pain if one wasn't ready to take him on, but as he was optional this was never a problem.

I'm pulling up blanks because I'm tired and just got home, but this is definately something worth discussing.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute hardest battle in RPG history is that one battle in Saga Frontier 2 where your army has to hold out for 5 rounds and you win... I've tried this battle over 100 times, I even bought the strategy guide to help me with this battle, what did the strategy guide say? Just defend and good luck, winning is not garaunteed you just have to get lucky...WTF o_O
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
The absolute hardest battle in RPG history is that one battle in Saga Frontier 2 where your army has to hold out for 5 rounds and you win... I've tried this battle over 100 times, I even bought the strategy guide to help me with this battle, what did the strategy guide say? Just defend and good luck, winning is not garaunteed you just have to get lucky...WTF o_O

DAMN. Not even Ultimate Saruin (where you acquire every single fate stone and then sacrifice it to the boss) is that difficult.

I'd love to play SaGa Frontier II again. I've sadly never beaten it, in part because it is kind of a snore fest.
Duke Otterland
His Royal Dukeness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of battles in The 7th Saga were pretty difficult (in fact it's probably on of the hardest RPGs ever made), although I actually didn't think the last boss was that bad.
Judge of Stellasolum now available at my Lulu storefront
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the FF weapons? I still haven't been able to beat Ozma.
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly a good topic.

Can't think of any examples right at this moment. Getting ready to go out. So I'll get back to this one later.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:

Dude, i agree with you. I actually beat this, but it took me at least a dozen tries. Never before have i come across something so insanely difficult. I don't even remember how i survived, as it's been way to long. Thanks for bringing back that insanely nightmarish memory. Shocked

I never did beat every path on that game. It's quite difficult overall.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, call me a masachist but I actually repurchased Saga Frontier 2 to finally beat the thing. It's been the bane of my existence ever since I admitted defeat to that game. But the time has come for me to finally prove who is the stronger! (wish me luck)
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
Heh, call me a masachist but I actually repurchased Saga Frontier 2 to finally beat the thing. It's been the bane of my existence ever since I admitted defeat to that game. But the time has come for me to finally prove who is the stronger! (wish me luck)

Good luck!

I want to repick it up as well now. Ony the next time I play it, I won't kill Corneria. >.> I also need to see if I can't find one of those pocket... whatever the hell they are called. >_< You know, the thing with the little screen that's compatible with maybe 4 Playstation games?
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmdor on the roof in FF Tactics, simply because I'd sometimes lose that battle BEFORE I could even control a member of my team. There was literally nothing I could do in some cases.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
Elmdor on the roof in FF Tactics, simply because I'd sometimes lose that battle BEFORE I could even control a member of my team. There was literally nothing I could do in some cases.

Yeah, that was always fun. If you didn't have a character or two quick enough to act first you'd have to hope to hell there'd be a "miss" in there.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
i just recently got it too.. but for the first time Smile

im tryin to play through the original frist but i have no idea what to do at all

edit: i also remember several battles in SMT: Nocturne, and even DDS 1 /2 being extremely hard... but thats a given considering they're SMT games

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Q
Ass sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this may not be an exact boss battle but in star ocean til the end of time I found it nearly impossible to continue on to some parts of the game if you didn't level up enough..normal battles where like boss fights.

*SPOILER*

The part I am primarly talking about is when you make it to the world that leads to the gate into the "real" life. If you know what I mean. Each of those monsters I found myself just trying to run past for fear of them kicking my ass.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx, you mean? Pssh, I remember those being difficult, but the thing about TtEoT was that it was so easy to run from enemies, and additionally, the Proclaimers on Styx weren't all that difficult to avoid. The one you first fight at the moon base, however many levels earlier? THAT was pretty hard. Not as bad as some of these others listed, though.

If my spectating for Lunar SSSC was any indication, that game had some pretty nasty boss battles in store, particularly for the underlevelled. One level could make all the difference there. I got stuck at that sewer serpent in Meribia, but that's only because I had given all my Star Lights to Nash on the boat to have him leave once it landed. Oops.
My brother got stuck on the Bronze Dogs when he was caught in the volcano without a few pieces of ice equipment, and Chelsea herself was the only one to make it to the finish, getting smacked down by Xenobia more times than I can count before getting lucky.

On the subject of FFT, my memory is rusty, but if I recall near the end of the fourth chapter there was one fight where Ramza must take on some guy alone on one side of an impassable gate, and your party is outnumbered and left to fend for themselves on the other. Ick. That was a rather nasty fight too.
NR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:
On the subject of FFT, my memory is rusty, but if I recall near the end of the fourth chapter there was one fight where Ramza must take on some guy alone on one side of an impassable gate, and your party is outnumbered and left to fend for themselves on the other. Ick. That was a rather nasty fight too.

Yeah, Gafgarian. I remember that one, desperately trying to get Ramza to open the gate and let the other party members in...that was intense. I don't think I had to replay that one many times if ever, but I do remember the battle being one for the highlight reel.
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q wrote:
The part I am primarly talking about is when you make it to the world that leads to the gate into the "real" life. If you know what I mean. Each of those monsters I found myself just trying to run past for fear of them kicking my ass.

Yeah, I remember that part. Honestly, I need to sit down and beat that game again, but there was something about it that made me stop wanting to come back to it. I also found that "4-D" plot twist to be a pain in the rear... it kind of turned me off.

But I agree, some of those creatures were annoying. The Angels in that game, in general, were a pain in the ass. >_<

Edit: - VsPluckyDuck called them by their correct name, "Proclaimers." Yeah, that moon base one was a pain in the ass. >_<

And people had problem with the Gafgarian gate battle? I found that battle quite easy - I had Ramza take on Ol' G while the rest of my party used area of effect techniques to take on those on the ground. Dragoon went a long way into making sure Gafgarian couldn't lay smack on Ramza, and after two to three jumps he went down.
Duke Otterland
His Royal Dukeness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:

I thought that battle was at end of the second chapter...
Judge of Stellasolum now available at my Lulu storefront
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGs are hard?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:
RPGs are hard?

Play two SaGa games and call me in the morning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: